1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

double bass bible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by enne, Nov 1, 2006.

1. enne

enne

Nov 1, 2006
    hi,
    i don't know how to explain myself so i'll just ask with examples.
    czerny, hanon, beyer are known as 'bibles' to the beginner piano players right? are there such instructional books for double bass?

2. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yeah - there is a whole side of the board devoted to Double Bass - DB!!

But the answer to the question is :

Simandl!!

4. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I second Bruce's answer, the Simandl book is very good. I think it's what most aspiring double bassists start out on. There are other methods out there, but until your finger strength is better, the Simandl method will probably work best. The most recent version should have an orangey-red cover.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This is what I started with...
    I think it's good to get your hands on as many method books as possible, work on them all, and pick what feels best for you.
    And get a teacher!

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Yeah, check out some method books if you want to do arco and classical. I went a totally different way, I taught myself most of what I know, paying very close attention to friends playing (a couple of them are well on their way to becoming bigtime sidemen/session guys). But I play jazz, and I have absurdly long fingers, so I have a lot more freedom in terms of what fingerings I choose to use.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    There are many things you can do "mechanically wrong" with double bas that will not only make it harder, but actually be physically negative.
    A few lessons with someone qualified to teach you some basics like holding it properly, fingering properly will go a long way. Breaking bad habits later is harder than a few good up front tips.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Simandl

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020