Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass Club in NJ (between Phil and NYC)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Nov 6, 2002.

1. I was interested in forming a double bass club that could serve Philadelphia and New York City by way of say Princeton NJ (easy to get to from both cities).

The focus of the club would be getting together once or twice a year to play, meet other bassists, exchange information, invite a guest player who would teach a master class and give a performance.

I was wondering if there is any interest in such a club in the area.

Your comments please...

Cheers

2. Yes, New York is great, but not everyone has the access you do. But I would be open to suggestions on location.

Also, you might let us all know how you are able to do that without a formal network.

Cheers,

3. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Wow, Ed, put away your guns! I've really got to agree with Jason about your reply being condescending. Wouldn't it be just as easy to reply nicely to someone's valid request? It's because of replies like yours that so many would-be participants are content to lurk. The result is that we all lose out on valuable ideas that could be shared.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I disagree - that's just Ed's usual "style" - which words or prases were condescending, I've read it several times and I don't see it ?

The original poster asked for comments and Ed gave them.

A supplemental question was asked and he replied answering the question put, very fully and just said it wasn't for him.

So - most people just don't bother to reply and Ed takes the time to give full and detailed answers and gets criticised!! :rolleyes:

If you ask a question, you have to be prepared to accept answers you don't like - life's not fair - it just as it is and you have to live with it!

If the poster had said - who thinks this is a good idea - no negative replies please, then I could possibly have understood it!

5. Enough of that *****.

I was pleased to have Ed's comments and will be trying to put one or two of them to use. Yeah, NYC makes it easier, but I'll bet I can work something in my neck of the NJ woods too.

In my view, playing music with others is what it's all about...

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ed....Don't go changin'
    To try to please us
    We love you just the way you aaaaaarrrre....

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The prosecution can fold its tents and head into the sunset.

Ed's a fine and upright citizen here. He doesn't sugar-coat anything, but is as golden as you get.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Here's where Chris usually starts singing Kum bi yah-my guess is he is busy changing diapers.
    Jason- Don't go leaving or stop posting. I for one value what you have to say and I'm sure others do as well. Is this a forum vs. a fraternity? I don't think either is accurate and as much as it sounds like"gag me with a spoon" I think TB is more of a "cyber community" if you will. Sure, some members are more prominent in their postings and some, like our mods have more power-but things run very nicely here. There's an occasional spanking but it's usually deserved [although I don't particularly think so in this case][mebbe Ray and Ed could be spanked here, but only Chris and Don have the cojones to pull that off].
    I've been on a lot of different forums due to varied interests and nothing compares to DB/TB. Tons of info, interesting reading and an incredible lack of B.S. considering this is the Internet.
    If you leave-it's not gonna be that you were "booted out". That is not the tenor of this board-some of us bark-but we don't bite. If you want to post here you may just need to develop a little thicker skin.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'd like to second this. If any body cares, I'd like to address this later, after tonight's gig. Until then,...

Kum-ba-YAAAAAHHHH, my Lord.....

Kum-ba-YAAAAAHHHH.........

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On reading the thread again, I have to say that I don't really see what all the fuss is about. THE JAZZ LAWYER asked a question in his own personal style, and FOGHORN EDHORN answered it in his own personal style. Sure, FOGHORN can come off as abrasive sometimes if you're not used to his way of communicating. This is news? I just think of him - if Ray will allow a sports analogy to be used (he seems to have issues with sports analogies) - as kind of the CHARLES BARKLEY persona of the board: Outspoken, brash, sometimes somewhat politically incorrect, but honest and with a heart that's usually in the right place. And most of the time when somebody has a problem with something he's posted, it's because of the "dry" nature of internet communication. I'm guessing that if this conversation had taken place in person over a beer, none of this unpleasantness would have ever happened.

But as always, Brad Johnson could be wrong.

As to whether this is a "Forum" or a "Fraternity", I have to agree with Jeff: it's neither....it's just a cyber community of bass players who like to talk about bass stuff. We're all adults here, and often we have different opinions. Sometimes, we (and by this I mean the collective WE) make the mistake of taking what goes on here a little too seriously and let things get blown out of proportion - I know I've done this a time or two. (Or three :rolleyes: ;) ) But when you get down to it, we're all here to talk about geeky esoteric bass ****, so let's try to get over this little disagreement and just get back to talking about geeky esoteric bass ****. Waddaya say?

One last thing which I shouldn't have to mention but will anyway: nobody gets "booted off the forum into the sunset" without doing something pretty blatantly against the forum rules (Spamming and Trolling come immediately to mind), and the only person with the "power" to ban anyone's account is Paul. All I do is relay the message. I've only had to do this a couple of times, and it was always for blatant trolls. Nothing in this thread has even come close. Hows about we keep it that way and go back to being a bunch of geeky bass nerds who share extremely esoteric info with each other?

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think the idea of a group of players who get together every once in a while is pretty cool. If anything like that was going on here in my neck of the woods, I'd check it out.

Peace.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My 'sunset' comment was regarding the 'prosecution' and not the author. I can see how that could have been read differently than I meant it.

Sports are the scurge of the earth. This is one place I like to think I don't have to deal with it. I, like many here, am tired of setting up the band under a TV and looking out to see the 'listeners' blinkless and drooling with their attention just above our heads. I in no way truly suggest curtailing sports analogies, but I can't promise I won't moan, bitch, or at least vent my displeasure with some humor or teasing.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    ...oh.

And, since this only my second Kumbaya (proper spelling, I believe), I have to share that I misunderstood the first. It was during the 'Smoking and Politics' scrap with GERM GLUE. I was certain that you were teasing him for his Boomeresque views.

:)

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Feel free to bitch and moan all you want, and I'll feel free to make 'em when they are the best thing I can think of at the moment. I hear you about the TV thing....I just refuse to play in the proximity of the damn things these days. However, everybody has something that they like to do when they are in VEGETATE MODE, and I love nothing more than spending my Sunday afternoons (after a 60-70 hour work week when the schools are in session) eating a bunch of spicy food, going into a serious carbohydrate coma, and curling up on the couch with at least two cats and napping in front of a football game. Good for the soul. Unfortunately, it also makes one more predisposed toward using sports analogies....

Also, I should mention that while I have no earthly idea how to spell "KUMBAYA" (it's kinda like "Inna Godda Da Vida" that way), I'm pretty sure that the word you were looking for to slam sports was "scourge". :)

And ya'll yankees is always talkin how us suthin boys is unedumacated.....

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Scourge/Scurge.

If only my proof reading could keep up with my typos.

15. Jazz Lawyer-

I remember seeing something in Bass World (the International Society of Bassists publication) about someone to contact for information regarding a bass club. I encourage you to contact the ISB for information. They may be able to help you get things off the ground or at least gauge interest.

You might consider the ISB as a model. You should want to attract bassists of varied backgrounds and playing levels. I think an individual's interest will depend upon who else is involved and what the club offers or what the club's mission is. If the club is just offering a masterclass now and then and it involves a long drive you might not find much interest, especially among professionals. Whereas if it met once a year, for example, and was bass intensive with "something for everyone," there may be more interest.

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ass in lawn chair, pitcher of margaritas readied. Commence firing.

:)

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i live in in the philadelphia area; i'd be into it.