1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bass & Electronics

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by colicab, Sep 13, 2010.

1. colicab

colicab

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi Patrick,

I would like to perform a piece for Double Bass and electronics for my recital at the end of the year. If my local arts council rejects my proposed commission with a composer in town, I need to look for a shop (probably online) carries sheet music for pieces with Double Bass and electronics. I have found one that carries your the sheet music & CD for your piece "Crystals", but what else is out there already? Where can I look online for sheet music? Do you know any composers that have written for this combination?
    Thanks,

-Alex.

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Hi Alex,
    First of all: Thank you for your interest in my music!
    For bass and electronics, I am assuming you mean both pre-recorded electric sounds and electronically manipulated bass sounds, and live electronically produced sounds and bass manipulated by electronics. There are likely almost 100 pieces that fall into these categories. I am not aware of all of them, but the likely places to search include the Library of Congress, Sibley Music Library, and the French National Library. These have online holdings search engines. Try different search queries.
    Publishers of new music, going directly to their sites or catalog somehow, is the next step. Liben Music (Frank Proto's and a few others' compositions) publishes a number of pieces that Frank wrote for bass and prerecorded sounds. Paul Barsom has a wonderful composition called Abadja Lutes, for bass and prerecorded percussion (VERY fun to play!). Adrienne Alexander has a cool piece called Absolution for bass and prerecorded synth and bass sounds. I am sure there are pieces by other contemporary composers like Boulez, maybe Druckman, Deak?? If you find something really cool let me know!
    Check with other contemporary music bassists, like Robert Black (Connecticut), Mark Dresser (San Diego), Mark Elias (New York), David Anderson (New Orleans), Thierry Barbe (Paris, France).
    Best to you!
    Patrick

3. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021