1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bass Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by klystephen, Apr 14, 2010.

1. klystephen

klystephen

Oct 31, 2006
    There are two types of the bass fingerboard, one with an angel on the E string side and one is completely round. Anyone can tell me the difference between two types of fingerboard? Thank you very much.

2. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I made a beveled fingerboard for mine since I'm only using 3 strings, and it's really nice to get that A closer to the fingerboard for better bowing clearance (smaller bridge radius). So I like the bevel. I can't speak for people that play conventional basses with 4+ strings.

George

3. The difference is one has an bevelon it and the other doesn't. There are a few threads on it here and from what I have read, there is not much more to it these days than preference. I have played both and have no preference. It is not something to get hung up on, I kind of like the look of the bevel, but as for playing it doens't seem to make any difference. My current bass is a 5 string therefore doesn't have room for a bevel. I play it just as well (badly?!) as my previous bass.

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    You have identified the difference. As you can find on other posts, the bevel is for additional clearance for excursion of gut "E" strings which are large diameter and oscillate in a very big area.