Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double bass fingering

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MicceO, Aug 16, 2004.

1. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    I started to play bass guitar a few months ago and I would like to ask about left hand technique. I bought a couple of books both of which recommended fingering where ring finger and pinky together are in charge of the third fret aka double bass fingering. First I found it a little bit strange (have played classical guitar earlier) but now I somehow like it. Later I've realised, that there are many who recommend a different, one finger - one fret technique. Anyhow, I'd like to carry on with double bass fingering which I've somehow adopted now. I understand that in certain situations four finger fretting is better, though.

Would someone like to comment on that! :)

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Using DB fingering won't hurt you - many recommend it. You may find later that using 4 finger technique will be natural in certain registers.

3. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    On my EB, I use DB fingering most of the time, especially when playing anywhere near the nut (where the frets are spaced farthest apart).

As I move up the neck, I find the one-finger-per-fret approach is easier to execute and will incorporate the ring finger more.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    +1

There was a period where I was playing DB in the day and then at night going and playing BG, and I sort of happened upon it by accident, because I had been building some double bass speed chops for this one piece it made me a bit faster in the nut area, which came in handy for what went from a bass doubling a piano part to a bass solo with piano accomp. because the piano player couldn't do it :D (If anyone is interested it's the dance to "That's How Young I Feel" from the musical mame.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've been trying to not use the ring finger on the lower frets because I find whenever I fret with my ring finger on the D or G strings, my hand is rotating because I can't lift my ring finger enough to fret these strings. This either causes a slow down in what I'm playing (not good) or gives my hand cramps from moving all over the place.

I've been playing 1 finger per fret since I started playing so not using the ring finger feels unnatural. But, my hand isn't rotating and flying all over the place when I don't use my ring finger. Guess it's time to get back out in the shed. :)