Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass --> Fretless Bass [interchange]

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by madsky, Aug 11, 2001.

1. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Ok ... I posted this once before 3 months ago if i remembered correctly ... :p But I am in the proccess of learning double bass for my school band...

I want to ask whether it will be possible for me to jump right into fretless bass later? I play bass for around 3 months already.... which is fairly short... and i have learned double bass for one week *cough* ... ;) but i'm talking about in a year or so, can i just jump right into a fretless bass when I am experienced at double basses ? what do you think? :D

oh, and i play alto saxophone for 3 and a half years ... and i can tell you it's VERY boring... but hey ... keep it as a talent ... and the shift from treble clef to bass clef was "ever so confusing" ...
    :cool:

sorry for posting and wasting talkbass' ever so precious webspace :p well ... at least i did not use the dreaded invention of tablatures ... [which i hate, but all my DO friends use]

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They're different and similar:D

Depends on your commitment to play it. The left hand work is similar the right hand work is different. Scale length (and size in general) is different.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my buddy plays upright in a professional band. I got him to switch to electric so he could play bass for me. He thought it'd be real easy since he could play upright so he tried fretless. It was a tough change, i mean its a different instrument. IF youve only been playing for 3 monthes thats gonna be hard, hed been playin for 10 years. Its just a different instrument, if u want to try it try it, its probably not gonna be much easier or harder.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, I read your post like this:
    - you've played fretted bass guitar for 3 months
    - you've played double bass for a week

Then you will have some experiance with bass guitar, and some with an unfretted board. Hence, it should be fairly easy to cope with a fretless bass guitar.
    But not as easy as if you'd started with the unfretted bass guitar, though!

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I generally find fretless BG harder to play than upright, as fretless BG provides fewer physical cues as to where you are on the fingerboard. Of course, if you have lines, you can always look down.

6. Regarding the left hand, I kinda have to disagree. They're similar in the sense that you have to feel where the note is with your hand. But they are extremely different in every other aspect. For starters the way you stop the string is different. If you try stopping the string on a doublebass the way you do on a bass guitar, you'll end up with lots of physical problems. It's hard to explain in words, but with the realbass you kinda press the string to the fingerboard from your shoulder, don't try squeezing it like on a toybass. Also, the physical orientation is
    different, one being kinda vertical, the other kinda horizontal. In my case at least, I have to think differently depending on which one I'm playing as a result. That's can also be attributed to only having to shift your hand position like 1/10th as much on toybass compared to realbass. On realbass you play a lot more shifting up and down one or two strings rather than playing across the strings like on bass guitar.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden