1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bass important opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TMSP, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello

My girlfriend is, in this year's first year of high school of music and need a new double bass. She has a double bass carved top, back and ribs are laminated.
    Attached are some pictures to put a double bass that I found on Nahrmann bass shop, because it is equal,(it seems the same) to what she saw and used that are thinking of buying in our country. It costs 2800USD and is like new and was never repaired.
    On this site, the information on this instrument:

Country-Korea
    Carved top-spruce
    Carved round back-flamed maple
    Ribs-laminated flamed maple
    Tailpiece and fingerboard-ebony

For more information: http://www.nahrmannbass.com/cgi-bin...=Invent&report=NewSingleBassRecord&NewID=0002

This double bass is considered fully carved or hybrid?
    It will make a positive difference compared to what she already has, or is it bad to have the laminated ribs?
    It will be a good instrument for recitals, high school, advanced level?

Leave your thoughts about the instrument er considerations.

Many thank's.

Attached Files:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Does she own the bass, or is she renting it?

I am thinking that if she owns the bass, then she should keep it, and maybe spend a bit of money to make sure it is in good playing condition. A bass with a laminated back can be a good instrument, and probably good enough for the duration of high school.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021