double bass in east europe

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Enri, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Enri

Nov 4, 2004
    I'm a double bass player and planning to travel to east europe to buy a d-bass, could somebody advice me what might be the best place to go, i thought in Romania and Hungary, but may be there are other place, also if somebody have luthier contacts in east europe i would apreciate if send it to me! many thanks all
  2. I would go to Praha (prague), Czeski Republic.

Easier, better and cheaper to fly to Vienna (wien), take metro to Sudbanhof (south train station). 5 trains daily to Praha.

1. Awesome bohemian buildings.

2. Drop dead gorgious girls. St. Charles Bridge District.

3. Cheap beer and accomidations(rent a private flat). Head for old town, "stare maesto."

4. Awesome jazz clubs. Lots of upright players: soviet-trained orchestral, but western-liberated to swing.

5. More girls.

6. Czechs and Italians are both known for quality basses, but Czechs are what you want.

Then go to Budepest. Same recommendations as above, just to a slightly lesser degree.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    In Hungary, the instruments of Rácz Barnabás have high reputation, but they are pricey, as well... I'm not quite up-to-date in the topic of DBs, but I can look after them if you want to.
    Good luck with your search!
  4. balzary

Oct 28, 2004
    Hi, here's a list of czech&slovak luthier's. If you follow the link you might find some interesting ones.. did'nt see that many double basses though.

Czech & Slovak Republics are really awesome places to visit anyway :)
  5. balzary

Oct 28, 2004
    Can you tell me what is "pricey" in this case? How much does he want for his basses? website?

My vote on the girls go to Czech...
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Not sure if he has international luthiers on his site-but when in doubt go to and check out his luthier directory, the website belongs to our very own [all hail] Bob G. Beyond that-i have no clue, as i'm midwest USA and order everything [ok-nearly everything] online. E.g. newstandard cleveland :)
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yes, Vienna...... Franz Schubert (1797-1828) wrote the Trout Quintet for 5-string Bass while England, France and Italy were still using the 3-String with some 4 but rarely in England. The English were impressed by the depth of the Low 'E' from the Eastern European Basses in the mid 1800s when Orchestras from the east traveled to England but were last to convert to 4-string.

I hope to someday own a fine Vintage Viennese Bass like those that Schubert heard when he was alive...