Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double bass, or close to it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectorphile, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Spectorphile

Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    So there's no replacing a true acoustic double bass... but I'm trying anyhow.

I've come to regard my EUB as about as useful as boobies on a bull for recreating an acoustic tone (for jazz), what’s new :scowl:? I hear flats on a semi-acoustic, lightwave equipped bass g****r (Zon, F bass) come pretty close, don’t suppose anyone’s tried one of these babies?

Are there any other good basses for recreating a DB tone? While we're on the topic has anyone tried an acoustic bass g****r equipped with a Schertler “Blue Stick” pickup? ...ummm think that's about it. Thanks in advance.

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    rob allen

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Closest I've ever come, believe it or not is the Line 6 Variax.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've heard some samples of Carvin AC40's and AC50's with tapewound strings, and it's the closest thing to an upright sound on a bass guitar I've heard yet.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I believe it. :)

I've listened to recordings on the Line 6 site of the various tone models that the Variax can produce, and though I don't particularly care for most of them, I thought the double bass model sounded pretty good actually.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds better recorded than my URB with pickup. Only problem is you can't bow a Variax.