Double bass, or close to it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectorphile, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    So there's no replacing a true acoustic double bass... but I'm trying anyhow.

I've come to regard my EUB as about as useful as boobies on a bull for recreating an acoustic tone (for jazz), what’s new :scowl:? I hear flats on a semi-acoustic, lightwave equipped bass g****r (Zon, F bass) come pretty close, don’t suppose anyone’s tried one of these babies?

Are there any other good basses for recreating a DB tone? While we're on the topic has anyone tried an acoustic bass g****r equipped with a Schertler “Blue Stick” pickup? ...ummm think that's about it. Thanks in advance.
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Closest I've ever come, believe it or not is the Line 6 Variax.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've heard some samples of Carvin AC40's and AC50's with tapewound strings, and it's the closest thing to an upright sound on a bass guitar I've heard yet.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I believe it. :)

I've listened to recordings on the Line 6 site of the various tone models that the Variax can produce, and though I don't particularly care for most of them, I thought the double bass model sounded pretty good actually.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds better recorded than my URB with pickup. Only problem is you can't bow a Variax.