Double bass over SWR 350

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Basman, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Basman

Mar 27, 2002
    Any bassplayers out there who can share experience on playing a double bass over a SWR 350?
    I was advised to by-pass the EQ by plugging straight in the "Effects Return" jack. Would this be a good idea?

2. This is so far out of BG "Setup" realm, I don't know where to send it exactly.

But here goes...
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I own an SWR amp that I don't use much anymore, and the only knob on it that I used to traditionally bypass was the "enhancer" (I think that's what it's called), because it always tended to give DB a kind of compressed sound. Other than that, I never had any trouble with SWR EQ - but from my experience, when it comes to DB, the best route is always to start with flat EQ and then make adjustments by cutting unwanted frequencies rather than boosting wanted ones. I don't know why, but this seems to promote a more transparent sound.
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Some amps (G-K, notably) have an "electric-sounding" preamp, or perhaps it adds artifacts that aren't desirable for URB. You can bypass parts of the preamp, depending on the amp model, by plugging your outboard preamp (K&K, Fishman, Baggs, Raven, etc.) into the effects return and see if the tone is improved. However, you also may lose amp EQ abilities, depending on where the effects return is inserted in the signal chain.
  5. Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm actually playing my double-bass, equipped with a Bass Max trasducer, through a SWR 350 and a 2x10 cab.

No external preamp or buffer box needs as SWR input matches perfectly Bass Max impedence

Considering the middle position of each control knob as "0" (also for Gain and Master) here is my setting when I play in a jazz quintet (voice, electric guitar, tenor sax, drum and me):

Preamp Gain: +1
    Aural Enhancer: +1 and 1/2
    Bass: -1
    Frequency level: -3 and 1/2
    Freq selected: 600 Hz
    High: -1
    Amp Master: from 0 to 1

Considering I usually play rather close to the cab (which is in any case behind my shoulders) you could probably keep the preamp Gain and the Amp Master a notch higher.
    I don't use to push the amp too high as I prefer to work on the strings for different dynamics.
    With this setting the sound seems to flow very natural and filling.

Enjoy and let me know if this setting works also for you.