Double Bass Pickups for bluegrass music

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kurt_H, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Kurt_H

Jan 8, 2002
    ohio, usa
    I have a fishman p/u now it crapped out on me during our last gig and was wondering what else is out there. I play 30 gigs per year and have done so for the last 18 years
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    The K & K Bass Max is a good no-frills unit that doesn't cost much and would be suitable for bluegrass. Our own Bob Gollihur sells them here.

Although, you can't be an authentic bluegrasser with a pickup. Do the shuffle as you all step up to the one mic.....:D

3. 2nd that....K&K bass max. Get one and you will realize that your fishman was crapped out 18 years ago
  4. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    and I'll second that! Down with FISHMAN!

I use the Bass Max and I use it for both Rockabilly and Bluegrass. This thing is durable and does the job (and I might add for a very affordable price...Thanks Bob!)

I currently thinking of uses for my old FISHMAN's. Hmmmm maybe:
    tongue depressors?
    earings for a female friend? Nah!
  5. I have to third that...

The K&K Bass Max is an incedible pick-up and at less then $100 it's an incredible value!

All Hail Bob Gollihur!!!
  6. I am with everyone else. I have the K&K Rockabilly Special(which is a Bass Max w/fingerboard transducer for the slap) It gets a really good sound. I also suggest getting the preamp to go along with whatever pickup you decide. The K&K products really will make you wish you had trashed your Fishman sooner. Good luck.
  7. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Another vote for the K&K Bass Max. I use the Power Pack preamp. Love the sound and (All Hail) Bob Gollihur is a great guy to do business with.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'll 7th that motion: I use a custom K&K "Double Bass Max", and I love it. I'm primarily a jazzer, but I like to slap the neck around a bit if I'm playing funk type stuff, and the Bass Max sounds great for that. Either way you slice it, it absolutely KILLS the Fishman. I also like the K&K preamps, and (ALL HAIL) Bob G is a great help whenever you call.
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    K&K Bass Max here, too. Also the Power Pack preamp. Gets a good natural tone that you won't have to tweak a whole lot for bluegrass.
  10. Jeeeez. Kurt. you got the message yet?
    Go to Bob,directly to Bob,don`t collect $200.......

Yeah i got a Bass Max too,and the Power Pack preamp,sounds great with very little messin`
  11. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

Sorry I'm late in on this one but....the K and K Bass Max is the pickup you need. I have used one for over 2 years. The Power Pack pre amp is fine but a much better deal in my experience is the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI....into the board. Great sound, full, no finger noise and easy to install and remove. Just follow the instructions. The sound person will be eternally grateful. You'll never go back to stuffing an SM 57 or 58 in foam and sticking it under the tailpiece.
    And yes..... Bob (All Hail) is a great guy to deal with.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm with Martinc as far as the Baggs preamp. It is perfect for applications when you are not using an amp but going into the PA.

It acts as a DI but you get some volume and EQ controls to tweak the sound a bit and control feedback if the stage levels are high.

I'll also second the praises of the K&K Bass Max over the Fishman BP-100. I've recently upgraded to a Schertler Stat-B pickup but I used the K&K for a few years and it is far superior to both the Fishman and Underwood pickups (you don't want to know how many others I've used!!!). Ease of installation is a big plus as is the low cost.
  13. tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    I also am looking to amplify my doublebass for bluegrass. I have a K&K Bass Master Pro pickup on my King bass but have yet to use it in a live situation. I have been using a SM58 mic wrapped in acoustic foam stuffed in the tailpiece (nod to martinc). Yesterday I spent some time tweaking the preamp settings and now have a much more 'real' acoustic sound but there is still too much finger noise for me (even after I turned the gain off for the fingerboard channel) guess it will take more tweaking (any advice and suggestions welcome). I am going from the K&K pickup to the K&K preamp to a Rodam DI to the board.

Question is with the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI which pickup are you using? Does it come with a pickup?