Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by neo0z, Feb 6, 2002.

1. neo0z

neo0z

Feb 6, 2002
    San Antonio, TX.
    I am seeking assistance in the purchase of my first Double Bass. I have played Electric Bass for 8 years and would like to purchase an Acoustic Upright that will sit nicely in a Jazz Trio and one that I won't get rid of in a few years. Does anybody have any experience with basses from Jim Labbs? They have a very good looking Upright called the Munich Bass made in Korea with bag and bow for $1577.00 (sale). I am also interested in the basses from Bob Gollihur (Belgium). Any information on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Go down to Violins Etc. and talk to Mark Rubin. It's in the north part of town. They have some nice lower end basses that are well set-up and will be playable immeadiately, without spending $400 in shipping. And if there is a problem, he is right there in town (and a great guy too).

Monte

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Ohh, sorry NeoOz, I'm not functioning well this morning. I see you're in San Antonio, not Austin. Violins Etc. is on W. 38th; I think it's past Lamar. He has very nice basses too, including a nicely antiqued Romanian 7/8 that shook the floor when I was there in January last year. Worth the short drive. Mark is the guy with all the tatoos......he's a rock-a-billy and western swing player who can really play. Have him show you his slap technique. I'm a jazzer so I've not got much use for it, but he is very good at it.

Monte

4. neo0z

neo0z

Feb 6, 2002
    San Antonio, TX.
    I appreciate your advice. Next time I'm in Austin I 'll give Violins Etc. a visit. Thanks alot!!

5. I recently got my first URB, an Englehardt S9 Swingmaster off Ebay (but check out gollihur.com) and am very happy with it. Playable right out of the box (although now getting bridge adjusters installed to raise strings for rockabilly slap).
    Decent quality and good sound. Good luck!