Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double bass : Reading Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by skalleluia!, Aug 4, 2002.

1. skalleluia!

skalleluia!

Aug 4, 2002
    Hi! i finally did it! i joined a club in school that offered double bass lessons. Who says dreams dont come true? Anyway, to the question, i can't really read music, and i don't know the fingerings for each note at half position, which i'm currentl learning now. I'd appreciate information on music reading and what fingerings for different notes.
    I'm learning orchestral now, using a german bow, and i'd also appreciate anyone who could share information with me on swing and jazz techniques, if there are any, like scales and stuff.

#nicholas - singapore

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What you are asking for is basically a lifetime's study!! Too much for a single post here - the general advice would be first to get a teacher. If you are interested in Jazz/Swing you could do worse than try Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist" - but it doesn't help much with fingerings - there have been a few recent threads on this.

After the teacher, probably best is to read through all the threads on the DB side, including Chris's invaluable FAQs.