1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double bass repertoire on double bass concertos

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by AleksofCanada, Jun 4, 2012.

1. AleksofCanada

AleksofCanada

Jun 4, 2012
    Hey everyone. I sort of have quite a delema on me and it's been there for quite some time. You see, I've been practising cello for quite a few years now......but I want to switch over to the double bass and learn that instrument instead :) The only problem is that I can hardly find any repertoire for it. I love concertos especially and I've looked every on google trying to find something but it's usually mainly just names that I already know (bottesini, vanhal, dittersdorf, koussevitsky, dragonetti.....and so on) So to come right down to it, I really really REALLY want to switch over to the bass, I love the bass so much. But if I don't find enough music for it, I may end of having to continue with the cello instead.......is there someone here who can help me? Maybe someone can give me a list of double bass concertos? Or refer me to a website that talks about concertos? I really don't want to have to stick to my cello, but I dunno.......I guess without some music to listen to, I'm sort of losing motivation.......please anybody reply to this post. Anything helps. Thanks.

- Aleks

p.s. I forgot, this is strickly me talking about "classical music" repertoire :) Thanks again!

2. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    As far as I can tell, a lot of the solo double-bass repertoire is taken from music for other instruments. You'll see a lot of bassists arranging cello and violin solos/concertos/sonatas for the double bass, which is always a noteworthy endeavor. Be sure to check out Catalin Rotaru on youtube.

Oh and even if it's not an immediate interest, jazz is a pretty important aspect of playing the bass and offers more solo opportunities than you might think. Being able to improvise a solo con arco garners a good deal of respect.

3. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    You just about named all the composers for bass. If you are looking for rep.... well, so is every other bass player. If I would have played cello instead I would. But, I fell in love playing the bass so I'll just do that for a while.

4. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    coming from electric bass playing Rock then Jazz then upright and finally trying to play arco but I enjoy these sites and you may find more of what you're looking for.

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    There are many more concertos for bass. Many are modern, and some are referenced in articles but out of print. Here's my list which is a work on progress.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21654266/Bass_Concertos.pdf.

Stuff in yellow hasn't been found yet. Anybody who wants to help with the list, please let me know.