1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double bass sound on a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 905, Dec 30, 2006.

1. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    For christmas my family and I went to Paris.

On our last day there, I had the joy of playing a little contrabass (double bass). The store manager said it was an old model, and the sound was wicked. It was incredibly deep, and dark, and evil, in other words perfect.

Today I tried a fretless, hoping to get a similar sound, but alas I was greatly disappointed when I found that it had almost the same sound as the fretted back home.
    So my question is as follows:

Do you know of any fretless basses which sound very close to a double bass?
    Very international dealers only, please.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Hotwire Basses

Check out the Hotwire Double Bass. Go to the page, click on Basses, and then Double Bass.

[​IMG]

There's sound clips on the page. It gets pretty close to a double bass sound.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Wow - that is Amazing tone.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Only one way to get a db sound, and that's to play db. Don't kid yourself.

You can probably find an old Kay for anwhere from $1000 to $2000. Or a Shen ply for around $1400. There's Englehardts too, but that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel in terms of playable instruments.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    A Godin A4 (or A5) fretless will get a decent upright-like tone.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I love the sound of those Rob Allen basses. One day...

8. don meteric

don meteric

Dec 28, 2006
    I agree if you want true upright tone, you can't beat the real thing. however, I learned to play bass from lessons with Carol Kaye and she started me on the bebop bass when I was beginning. I used a '68 Fender Precision strung with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats and it sounded very uprightish, perfect for old-school jazz. the magic are those Thom flats, they're the cat's pajamas when it comes to jazz bass tone. (I've since sold my soul to Pazuzu and now pluck on Roto steels and play death metal :D)

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I've got a Hohner acoustic defretted with a P bass pup instead of the wretched piezo and it sounds pretty good like that. Not very versatile but warm and woody.

10. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    You are, of course, completely right, on the other hand I didn't believe I could ever achieve the exact sound on an electric.

The main problem is I don't have the moolah for a double bass.
    The other problem I have is that I live in Norway, which in my experience isn't the best place if you want to buy cool stuff in stores.

The WorpAcoustic and Rob Allen's MB2 sound almost exactly the same as what I want.
    They probably cost half the country though, and as I said.. moolah is an issue here.
    I should probably take this opportunity to rephrase the original question;

Fretless electric / semi-acoustic (I want to be able to amplify it)
    As close to DB sound as possible without actually being a DB
    Preferably affordable - if need be, I will give up my soul to the dark one
    Most important, it would be very nice if I could get ahold of it from within Scandinavia, at least Europe
    If this is not possible, tell me - false hope doesn't really work out in the end.
    On a sidenote, I know I will not be able to buy it during 2007 unless I'm lucky with my birthday and such.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

On a tight budget, it's tough to do better than the Godin A4 and A5 fretless. With the right flatwounds and the right technique, it will put you in the same ballpark as an upright in terms of tone.

Personally, I'm starting to GAS pretty hard for an EUB. I can't get a true DB as my toddler would destroy it. ;)

12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I once played the Ashbory Bass which to me sounded like a dead-ringer for an acoustic if you can get over its toyish look.

Scott