Double-Bass Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tenji, Dec 24, 2005.

1. tenji

Dec 8, 2005
    How would one get a double bass (standup) sound out of an electric bass? particularly that strained feeling in the highs. Effects? Certain models?; I'll be purchasing a new bass soon, right now I'm learning toward a fender jazz bass.

-cheers & merry christmas

EDIT:: Dec 27th::

After reading what everyone has to say on the forums, I'm now seriously thinking about buying an Upright instead of a BG. I realized I might as well sell my acoustic electric guitar, which should give me enough money to buy an Okay DB..I think. Time to do some more search's before posting a noob topic in DB (how rare!)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get an upright. As an upright player, electric doesn't come close.

HOWEVER, a P-Bass through a tube rig, old flatwounds and high action does the trick in a jam. Fretless helps too. Roll off the tone knob all the way and it should be close enough.
  3. tenji

Dec 8, 2005
    thanks. hmm. well I could try figuring out how to handle an upright. i'll have to do a little research on that. money and time are too sparse right now.for now i'll probably stick with a fender for the sake of versatility, i'd like to buy both..
  4. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Actually I was able to get a pretty close sound by sticking a mute near the bridge and using a bit of chorus.
  5. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    or you could mute it with your right hand while plucking with index and thumb. Turn neck pickup fully on and turn tone knob all the way off. jack up the bass and low mids to your desire and you get that bassy thumpy sound
  6. A bit of foam (or a sock) under the strings down by the bridge will help your sustain sound a lot more like an UB. You could just palm mute and pluck with your thumb, but I think that using a mute and plucking with your index finger feels more like an UB. Plus rakes go the right direction. Palm muting is good if you don't have time to get a mute involved. I think that getting the decay right is the most important factor in sounding like an UB. You might not have to roll off much or any tone. It's not like UBs don't make clicky noises.
  7. +1 - flatwounds and fretless too. Piezo's have a much more acoustic tone if you want to to all the way.
  8. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 for palm muting if you just want to chuck a different sound in for a phrase. An old band did a cover of Fear Factory's "Edgecrusher", which has EUB in the verses on the recording. Went over nicely live ;)

OT: Christian Olde Wolbers may have to be one of the most under-rated musicians in heavy music. Bass (both kinds!), guitar, programming, producing. Good to see FF pick up the pieces after Dino left and come back even stronger :)
  9. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    That lightwave laser optical high technology whasitcalled thingie is good, apparently.
  10. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    fretless, flats and palm muting IMHO

or, yo ucan always try one of those Ashbory(sp?) basses with rubber strings.
  11. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I have gotten a very close sound to an upright bass by using a P-bass style bass, Heavy Labella flatwounds(Deep Talkin'), and a Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator pedal. I think flatwounds and the AC-2 pedal would probably work well with a Jazz bass as well.
  12. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    The Variax 700 has a reasonably convincing EUB sound ...

... but the best EUB 'bloom' I've found has been the Dean Pace (35" scale EUB) with proper strings and amplification. I played with several in Ed Roman's in Las Vegas and was really impressed (I'm not a DB player, so perhaps I'm a bit too accomodating). That said, I actually like the 'mwah' of my Dean Edge with Thomastik Jazz Flats ... definitely not an EUB sound, but IMHO even better.
  13. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'm wanting to get an electric upright and have been looking around and found these: The price seems reasonable, I just need to do a bit more research on them before pulling the trigger. ;)