Double Bass StandsNewbie ?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Celarier, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    OK - I am still very much a newbie and have read all of the newbie info on the site. I have not found anything on stands. So I thought I'd give a go at it to the Pro's.

There seems to be two different kinds of double bass stands.

#1 The endpin stays in place and is inserted into a pocket. AND has clamps the 'waist' of the bass. Good because there is no weight on the neck

#2 The endpin is lifted and the bottom of the bass rests on a 'fork' of sorts.
    Good because the endpin does no have to take on any weight when in idle time.

What to do? Does this query make any sense?

I have an idea perhaps -
    make a double bass stand that does both. Put a rubberized fork on the bottom, and a clamp for the sides, and a nice neck holder to boot. on it.

This way each musican has an option - lift the endpin or not - etc...

What do you guys think?
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I think what you run into with DB stands (at least in my experience) is that you have a portable vs non-portable issue. Stands that are made to be foldable, lightweight and compact are just not structurally as solid as others. Different players have different prioritites.

For my uses, the stands that are designed like large guitar stands, with the padded arms on bottom, work best. It's sometimes a little large to carry...I don't most of the time...but not a major pain if I have a gig where I need to take it with me. The best improvement I can think of would be a rubber strap across the neck support.

I honestly can't see that a cup for the endpin would help because due to the differing length of player's endpin extensions, the bass bottom has to be scooted out or less to get the endpin off the ground (unless it's really long and must be retracted). What might work would be a cello-style endpin cup that's on a length adjustable strap. It could be used or not, based on the player's needs.
  3. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Weight of the bass on the endpin during idle time isn't a problem. If your bass can't handle it, your bass has a problem, and needs a luthier.

I have such a stand, with the two forks that hold the bottom of the bass, and a guitar-stand kind of neck support. (

The problem there is that even though I'm not overly tall, I like my endpin to be extended farther than the distance between the bottom of the bass and the stage, and there is no way to raise the "forks" to get the bass higher up off the floor.

Actually, unless I'm in a situation where there's not enough space, I use a "Horizontal Bass Stand".

My Horizontal Bass Stand is a carpet runner that's 2 feet by 6 feet.

One problem with any bass stand that's portable enough to be convenient is that they can be knocked over pretty easily. If your bass is laid-down on it's side, and it gets knocked over, the worst thing likely to happen is that the bridge will be shifted, or knocked off, marring your finish, or it will be knocked out of tune.

If your bass is standing & gets knocked over, all sorts of bad structural things can happen, like chips off of the pegbox (or broken off pegbox), neck broken, face cracked by a forward fall onto the bridge, etc. etc.

The only thing with the Horizontal Bass Stand is that you need to try to lay the bass next to a wall or something, to reduce chances of someone tripping over the neck, or stepping on it.
    One thing I've thought of doing is building a plywood box with an extended base or legs that would be about 20" tall, 10" thick, and 27 inches wide, with a cut-out on one side for the tailpiece.

That means similar to the cello stand found at

I've also thought about improving the H.B.S. with some sort of thing where I could have the neck laying into some sort of barrier that would stick up high enough to catch the attention of Klutzes before they walk on my neck.

Maybe a little thing whipped up out of dowels, PVC, panelling, 1/8" plywood, or whatever. (maybe plexiglass?)

I've also thought of building an actual horizontal stand, with a framework that would be about 14" wide, 6 feet long, and tall enough to have a series of cloth slings in the middle, to hold the bass body a half-inch or so off the floor.

It would need wide legs, to keep it from being pushed over easily, and might need something sticking up closer to eye-level to draw the attention of Klutzes.
  4. Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Proprietor of Superior Bassworks
    Stands make me nervous. If possible, either lean it into a corner with the brdge facing inward, or lay it on its side. Then, if it gets knocked over, it has a lot shorter distance to fall.
  5. Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    I used to do what Henry suggested but its not very convienient or considerate for a packed stage. I guess you could lay it on the floor off of the satge but thats not efficient. I bought a stand from cost about $66 + shipping. It has a cup on the bottom for an End Pin and arms to hold the Bass in. Its foldable so its very portable. I likes it. Works well for me. Good luck with you search.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought one of these bass stands from St. Louis strings. (an extension of KC strings) It is very stable and is nice in that it doubles as a stool.

Only thing that sucks about it is that it won't work with the endpin fully extended. Although this is the case with most of the DB stands designed in the jumbo guitar stand image. Those stands that are simply an endpin cup and a neck cradle are a little suspect to me.

7. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yes, it pops apart pretty quick. It came with a little sack to throw it in. Basically a laundry bag.

I haven't had any problems with it goofing the finish, but I should note that my bass is a Swingmaster. A scratch in the natural finish might be hard to see.
  9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I have one of those and it could mar a good varnish. My solution lay at Home Depot. There are these foam thingies[that word becomes more and more useful as one ages] that are made to wrap around pipes for insulation. Basically a foam cylinder slit along its length with peel away plastic that reveals a sticky side. Very cheap and completely effective. An 8ft length is about 4 bucks. Cut it to length and apply.
  10. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    The bag the stand comes in is designed to fit over it again after it's assembled so that the stand doesn't scratch the back of the bass. They're easy to put together, disassemble and carry.
  11. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I'm VERY familiar with those. :D

A survey was once done on the usage of paper-clips, and result was that something like only 1/2 of the paper-clips purchased were actually used to clip papers.

The rest were un-bent to become toothpicks, fingernail-cleaners, and various impromptu small tools.

I wonder now much of that pipe insulation is actually used as padding...:)
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Since this thread has long since gone OT, I'll add my two cents.

I use it around the top of the windshield on my boat. That way, the canvas cover that I use on it to keep water, leaves and small creatures out of it won't be worn through by the sharp edges of the metal windshield structure. I replace it once a year at a total cost of about $3.

13. bulmer

bulmer Guest

Oct 1, 2002
  14. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Celarier,

I've had good luck thus far with the Ingles stand, which we buy from International Violin Co. The bottom arms are adjustable so you can keep your endpin out. I recently did a trade show where we had 5 basses on these stands, and the show consisted mainly of teachers and high school students. For some reason teenage boys want teenage girls to see them thumpin' on a db, whether they have chops or not.:D The stands stood up to the abuse pretty well (i.e.: no basses fell while the kids twanged away).

I'd say they're probably the smartest of the portable stands out there right now.
  15. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    DITTO!! I had just bought one of the Black Meisels, when I spotted the Ingles in Byron Berline's shop in Guthrie, OK. I traded mine plus cash for the Ingles, which I love for its stability and its ability to let you pull your bass off of the stand and play without messing with the endpin.

It folds flat enough that I put it on my 2 wheel luggag rack behind my Schertler speaker and bungee it down with no problem.

16. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Does anyone have a pictuire of the Ingles stand for me to look at? Thanks in advance! :)
  17. I use a Hamilton- collapsible tripod base, telescopic column, two moveable arms to hold the upper bout- you know, the ones with the endpin cup that have been around for a thousand years. I opened up the slot where the front foot pivots at the column enough to get a screw through it, I carry a screw and screwdriver with me and fasten the stand to the floor wherever possible. If the column height is adjusted right, you can set the arms so they aim upward slightly and grip the back across the upper bout, so that you have to rotate one of the arms down slightly to get the bass out of the stand. (Easy to demonstrate, hard to describe.)
    Any stand scares me at least a little.
  18. I emailed the International Violin company and this is one of the pictures he sent. Said it holds an URB very well. $38.00! seems like a good deal to me.

19. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks Keith! I think Ima get me one :D
  20. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    $38? I paid like $60!!