1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bass Stool height

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MichiBass, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Do you have a teacher who can help you? It would be better than asking here. I would consider buying an adjustable stool. I own this one and it is pretty nice, although I could use some more padding on the seat.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/produc...PERFORMANCE_CHAIR_STOOL_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS.html

+1 for Seamist's post. It is possible that the combination of your height and arm length may require a small bass. Again, a good teacher is very important.

2. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I have to agree with Eric, 100%. I have been using that adjustable stool for several years now. It gets the job done, and is very easy to carry. I even use it for my guitar gigs, too. I also concur that it could use a bit more padding in the seat.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I sit on a low stool with my feet on the bottom rung. For posture health reasons I feel it's better if the rung or rungs are the same height. This tend to align the hips better, which in turn helps keep the back in alignment.

And FWIW, 5'1" is plenty tall enough to play a 3/4 bass. I currently have a student shorter than that, and she's doing fine.

4. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK

24" stool for me. Little wooden jobber from Target for $15. Works like a charm. I picked up the shorter stool idea from Joel Q a few years ago and I guess the neo-cello stance goes along with it. :)

I bought a few of the adjustable stools from Lemur for my middle school students last year and I found they never took the time to adjust the stools to their personal appropriate height. So I bought a few extra 24" stools from Target and placed them in my classroom for them to use instead. Figured consistent height was better than inconsistent height.

5. The Spanier

The Spanier

Jul 9, 2010
    Spain

Attached Files: