Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass Studies in Europe.

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by El Gato, Jul 17, 2004.

1. El Gato

El Gato

Jul 16, 2004
    Does anyone know of an excellent teacher/conservatoire in Europe? I'm looking for excellent post-graduate studies. I would be grateful to any information as where to look, your experience, etc.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Just curious what the experience you all have had with European professors. My impression is that they tend to be a bit inflexible in their teaching methods.

3. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Pedro, well -of course it depends. Most american professors have only to look back no more than two bererations before their respective european professors pop up.
    For ex.
    Roger scott- Anton torello( Cataluna)
    Homer Mensch ( eduoard Nanny)
    Gary K ( Zimmerman-reinshagen)
    Paul Ellison( Rabbath)
    And the list goes on....
    What the european proffs do offer is a tradition. handed down and not too watered down either. Is this inflexible ? I would reather call it respect for ones background. THe good teacher is one to be copied but the great teacher is the one who sets the student free. This takes time and extreme maturity from the student.
    Pedro my experience though in europe the past ten years is that the north american style is far too inflexible. I could play circles around people at auditions here but ask me to play something with musicality and I could'nt get passed INtonation-rhythym-dynamics-sound.... The european style tends to go away from this first and try to develop musicality. Of course it isn't perfect and has it's faults but it is just different.
    I actually look at most europeans soloists as great individualist who really stand for what they do. Not just pumping out sound and perfection. I recently listened to a great bassist from the USA. He has a cd out. When I was here in the UA. I thought he was God. I now listened to him and thought, yeah what a great instrumentalist,,,but I thought it quite boring to listen to,
    People change..
    I'll be happy to explain more in private mails
    Hope this was of help
    G-force

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Sure it was helpful. Keep in mind that my experience in this regard is extremely limited. It was just an observation based on my limited experience. And based on that experience it was my conclusion that they only had one way of teaching something and were inflexible to the possiblity that there might be more ways to skin a cat, so to speak.