Double Bass with distortion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by alvy ronson, Jul 12, 2001.

1. has anyone successfully plugged a DB through a distortion/fuzz pedal and got something usable i am looking around at the moment for the right pedal if it exists. i have a shadow pick up and nylon strings, no normal feedback problems as the p/up is set up well. i have tried a sansamp driver, no good, a tubescreamer=- nogood, a boss FUZZ= good sound but lots of feedback. ia m wondering if i am chasing a dream or not i am sure it is possible some how and will continue my quest until the bitter end!
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this is just my opinion, but the reason you play double bass is for the pure acoustic tone and because you love that sound.

I mean this is a hard instrument to play and bass guitar makes far less demands on you physically and technically, but what makes DB worthwhile is the acoustic "three dimensional" sound.

Now if you are taking that sound away by distorting it then, you might as well play bass guitar or solid body electric upright, and have an easier time, as you have already lost the acoustic tone.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I plugged my bass into a blender once and it sounded pretty good. I got carrot juice all over the endpin, though...
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've tried it and gave up due to feedback. The problem is simple, distortion pedals boost the signal gain a LOT which is a sure way to make your bass feed back. The only way I can think of getting around the feedback problem is to try a magnetic pickup like the String Charger or Biesele.

For those wondering why I was trying this, at the time I was playing in a semi-acoustic indie rock trio. We had drums and the frontman played accordion, fiddle, dulcimer, ukelele, lap steel and junk percussion.

I forget his name but I heard the current bassist of the Jazz mandolin Project playing DB live with effects, including (I think) some kind of MIDI setup because some stuff he was playing sounded like synthesizer sounds. Too bad it was on the radio and I couldn't see what he was using for equipment.
  5. It's ironic. For decades, players and manufacturers have tried to find an amp that faithfully reproduces the natural sound of the bass. And now someone wants to know how to distort it.