Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bassist Magazine Winter 2004 - interest for Jazzers!!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - there are charts/sheet music for 4 original, solo DB pieces, written by Eddie Gomez and a long interview with him. Plus - John Goldsby starts a series of tutorials on soloing in Jazz! :)

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for the update Bruce.

I always forget to go comb the magazine rack once a month.

3. Bruce Lindfield

It's less frequent than that!! But quite often, there may be little for the Jazz player - but this edition seems to be pretty good - even if you don't like Eddie Gomez' playing - there's a lot of interest in the sheet music! :)

PS - I forgot to mention the article on your fellow NYer - Frank Proto....

4. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    I really love this magazine, but I wonder if the author(s) really know what they are writing about. For example, they write that Eddie plays (beside others) a "blonde K-Bass" and a "Yamaha"-pickup. I suppose that he plays a *Kay* bass, and a *Yamahiko*-PU. Or am I just a nerd with this?

5. Bruce Lindfield

It actually says "pickups by Yamaya as well as the David Gage Realist.."

I tend to think they are writing primarily about music and are not that interested in amplification gear!! ;)

6. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Except, of course, for the featured-on-the-cover, "Transducers Tamed: Pickups for Basses"

But it's a great mag. Anyone who reads this forum would be well-rewarded with a subscription.
    http://www.doublebassist.com/

-dh

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's certainly more jazz content than BASS PLAYER or any other bass specific mag.
    Past articles include Charlie Haden, William Parker, Barre Phillips, Dave Green, Avishai Cohen, Chris Minh Doky; each issue has a little one page bio/overview on a jazz double bassist of historical importance and back in the 90s they had a two issue overview/comparison of pick ups for DB.

A FINE MAG!
    TWO THUMB POSITIONS UP!!

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Just because he has a Kay doesn't mean it is his main axe. It also mentions that he plays a Paul Claudot which is a nice bass.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I didn't even notice that part until Jonas pointed it out!! I just read the article/interview and looked at the pictures - didn't look in the box!! ;)

I don't think it really detracts and I was sort of joking about the amp stuff...:)

10. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I'm glad this subject came up because I meant to post a question to Arnold about what the custom bass was that he built for Eddie that was the first mentioned on this arsenal list. Fess up Arnold! Tell us more!