1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Bassist or Guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ChuckCorbis, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Even though guitar is my first instrument, I have to agree that guitarists are a strange bunch compared to double bassists. I never thought I would admit that. I thought originally when I first checked out this forum that double bassists were snobs and pretentious. While this may be so, I'll take it in a heart beat over my fellow jazz guitarists. I've been hanging on the Jazz Guitar Forum and can't believe the threads devoted to analysis, chord shapes, extensions, scales, modes, chord soloing, comping, you name it. There is basically 2 camps. Those that use numbers 9735 for chord and scale tones and those that use 10x12101012 for fret positions. The posts are comical. You've got one guy throwing around numbers of chord voicing and some ignoramus coming back with tablature numbers. It reminds me of bingo night at the Buddhist Temple here in West L.A. It seems as though they are obsessed with the technical and theoretical :confused: aspects of playing. The time spent on chord shapes alone is mind boggling. There is also a lot of cheer leading for their respective Berklee guitar instructors. I've had it. I now appreciate the sophistication of the membership here at the Double Bass Forum. I like just hanging out with my bass and walkin'. No pressure. It's truly relaxing. Only one thing. They don't have a "strings" thread over there........Thank God!

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Welcome home, set a spell.

3. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I studied jazz guitar at Berklee... now I play bass in a Soul/Rock group... totally agreed... maj 6/9 and min 9 chords sound damned pretty, but laying down the low end is the definition of satisfaction... to use a hockey analogy, I'd rather be a stay-at-home d-man then a right wing sniper.... welcome to enlightenment.

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    This is a great forum. Both sides are worth reading the electric and the String Bass side . I studied the Upright many years ago and now I play just Electric when I decided to reutrn to active playing. Funny now I'm taking jazz piano and guitar lessons. I never did this when I was in school. While I don't own an upright right now , I still love the instrument and hope to get one in the near future......:cool:

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021