Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Buck - Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fong249, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Has anyone seen and or used a Warwick Double Buck yet? Is the wood dark by nature or is it a stain? Two big humbuckers must offer a huge variety of tones, seeing as a musicman can get a load of tones using just one of those big buckers.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bass is stained, its actually made of swamp ash, a very light wood in color. It has a 2-band preamp, so it doesnt have as much tonal variation as say a 4 band musicman bongo.

3. but looks so much nicer than the Bongo!! :) Outside US, Corvette Standards are also available in Swamp Ash, I'm just waiting for my next pay slip to pay mine off!!! yay!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A swamp ash corvette standard is a very nice bass, congrats on getting one.

5. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Im looking at buying one, although i think ill be going a MM Bongo if my wallet allows me.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Might i urge you to wait. Musicman is releasing dual pup stingrays and sterlings.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That'l be interesting IMO. I think the Bongo plays faster then the Ray and Sterling and it has the 4 band pre. The Sterling/Ray will have the pup switch, but not the preamp. Then again they will have the coil switch (or 5 position switch..).

I'll be interested to see which can do more. Anyone know what the US price will be?

8. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I haven't played one, but one guy that worked at a shop seemed to be quite partial to it, and he seemed like one who would know. It sounded nice. Aren't the pups really close togeather?

9. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000

This explains why GC is so desperate to get rid of some of their regular MMSRs...

(arlington and dallas in question)

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    there was a thread recently about the $$. General concensus was that the warwick humbuckers didn't sound as good as the musicman humbuckers.

p.s. gat a bongo, a 5 string and change the b string to give it more tension. bass heaven :rolleyes:

11. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Maybe, ill probably go the bongo anyway.

12. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    Hey,

I was shopping around for a MM style 5 string for some of the heavier tunes in my band so I hit GC to try some basses out. I tried the Bongo with the double humbuckers and just didn`t like the feel of it, I dislike paint in the back of the neck, and tonewise it wasn`t my cup of tea either. I actually bought a SR5 from BassNW and when I got it I just couldn`t get the sound I had in my head....I returned it the next day (they were really understanding) So I ordered a $$ from them and after a wait (since they had none in stock), I got it. Mine is the black stained with black hardware. At first I must say this $$ is way lighter than any other corvette I have played and the combo of ash and the humbuckers make for a great variety of tones available. I don`t know why people complaint about the p`ups. They actually nailed the tone I was looking for just soloing the bridge p`up and setting the switch to parallel. Then you have the blend knob and the EQ and the combination of series, single and parallel... all combinations are very useful and musical. It also cuts thru very well in a band setting (2 guitars, fender and mesa tube combos and a hyper drummer. I ply thru a Eden WT800 and a MM audiophile 212). It`s actually on the aggresive side of sound, but for the slower/softer songs I play my corvette standard 6 or my proline 6. As always this is in my opinion and your ears might tell you otherwise, but I gather from many threads that people seem to diss Warwicks for no reason.

Attached Files:

• $$.JPG
      $$.JPG
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
  13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ale,

Congrats on the $$, that looks like a might fine bass. I can hardly wait to try one.

14. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY

Thanks, you should definitely try one. In my case is a good addition to my stable 'couse of the aggresive tone. All my other 'wicks are comparatively polite :)

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    On point #1: sure it does!
    but as for #2: Corvette Stds are ash. Not swamp ash, but hard ash. The difference? Hard ash is heavier than swamp ash, though lighter than bubinga.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, it depends on where you live. If you're in the US, you're in luck. However, in Europe, you have to pay extra for everything American, meanwhile Warwicks are cheaper. As for the rest of the world, check which is cheaper... though I can guess that it'd be the W.

17. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Looks beautiful. congrats. :)

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm glad you are having a good experience with your Warwick. I bought a Warwick FNA Jazzman 2004 Ltd. and it has left me cold. The controls sucked, with most of the movement between o and 1 and 9 to 10, with nothing in the middle. The attitude of their people about this problem left me angry. So, no more Warwicks for me. Fortunately, there are many, many great alternatives. I just got a new Fender Roacoe Beck 4 and tonally, I think it blows the Warwick 2004 Ltd. away. Way, way away!

19. Can't wait to try out a $$. They're very affordable over here in Europe.

20. I can definitely tell you - my Corvette Std is Swamp Ash.