Double C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Asswipe, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Asswipe

Jun 17, 2001
    I have a Question?
    Would Tuning a five string to Double C
    be harmful to the neck or the bass since all 4 strings are tuned down and the b string tuned up,would that f*** up the tension?
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    why would you want to do that? Just use standard tuning. Why tune a 5 string like that when you can save money and use a 4 string tuned C G C F?
  3. Asswipe

Jun 17, 2001
    that's not the question the question is would it mess up the tension
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've never heard anybody use this tuning before, so I have to guess, but since 4 strings are tuned down and only one up, I'd guess that the overall tension will decrease. So your bass might be ok. You can also influence the tension by changing the string gauges.
    You have to experiment on your own, I'm afraid.
  5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    sorry i cant help you with your question, but i was wondering if you could tell me what your purpose for that tuning would be?
  6. Asswipe

Jun 17, 2001
    The purpose is my guitar player tunes to C# so i tune to that too but i wanted to use my five string b/c if me and my guitar player are playing a chorus riff together,I like using the E tuned to C because it's more loose and helps cut through the mix better.It's also the C that I like to slap and pop on b/c it cuts through.But if i'm playing a solo verse riff I like using the B tuned C b/c it is a more tighter C and has a more clearer resonant sound to it.So i use The B tuned C alot if i'm walking basslines.It just sounds better but the E tuned C sounds better on some parts so that's why I use it.
  7. Wow thats kinda cool. Interesting how you got that put together like that. Kudos on originality.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you have a five string with two truss rods, it would probably be fine. Although, with only one, I would guess that you'll struggle to get the action comortable. with this tuning, it is possible that you are going to end up with a significantly greater amount of neck bow on one side than the other. Although you aren't making drastic tuning changes, other than the E, so it may be ok.

Just try it, it would hurt anything. All you are going to be out is time.