1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double checking my bad brain!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xBLACKxEYEx, Sep 9, 2016.

1. xBLACKxEYEx

xBLACKxEYEx

Sep 9, 2016
    Hi, am going to be buying

an

Amp head that is (300W at 4Ohms)
    And two cabs that are both (250W at 8Ohms)

Basically i think this is a fine combination but i'm not 100%, don't really grasp the theory. =/

Just making sure that is correct?

And although i am not particularly planning on blasting it could i turn the amp up all the way or not?

Thanks

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

those two cabs together are capable of 500 watts, so you're able to crank a 300 watt amp into them

3. xBLACKxEYEx

xBLACKxEYEx

Sep 9, 2016
    Ah ok i see how it works thank you! If i were to play through just 1 of the cabs what kind of power could i get?

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    150-200 Watts from your amp.

5. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    I was really hoping this thread would be about Bad Brains

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Henry Rollins met up with Black Flag when he came out to see Bad Brains

7. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    The watts rating on the cabs are a guideline for how much they can take. It's not a 100% because every amp is different, but it helps figure out what the speakers can handle within a certain range. I know all these numbers can be confusing, but remember it's the amp that produces power, the speakers convert that electrical signal into sound through vibration, but they do that passively. You don't plug in a speaker cab unless it's powered speaker (like a lot of PA speakers) which essentially has the power amp integrated into the speaker box.

8. If you can find the manual for the amp (on-line search perhaps) it may tell you the exact power level at 8 ohms.
    Or if you post the amp's manufacture and model, someone may be able to tell you.

The relationship between amp's power at 4 ohms vs 8 ohms is not linear.
    At 8 ohms it will be more than half of the power at 4 ohms, but not full power. You'll probably be closer to 200 than 150 with one 8 ohm cab. In most cases this holds true for solid state amp's more so than for a tube amp. It will depend on the amp's design though.
    Example: I have a Fender Rumble 200 V3. It is rated for 200 watts at 4 ohms and 140 watts at 8 ohms.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. You will be fine, but use your ears. Depending on how loud your input signal is, you may reach the amp's full power before you've turned the master volume up all the way. Also your amp may have a protection circuit that will cut the amp off if you're pushing it too hard. Obey the warning lights on your amp, and if it's dropping into protection (i.e. shutting off) then back off the master volume.

10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana

11. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Your amp will be sending ~150-watts RMS to each of your cabs so you should be fine. Depending upon the transformer in your power supply section it could send more than that, but not enough to cause problems from overheating the voice coils of your speakers Your speaker cabs could split 500-watts (rms) between them so 150 to perhaps 180-watts shouldn't be a problem unless you boost your bass EQ through the moon and exceed maximum extension of the speakers trying to produce those super low frequencies.

12. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Heavy groove: Fly in the Soul Craft!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021