Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What a day!

For those who don't know, the people I share my house with have a small white fluffball puppy who used to escape semi-regularly before she was desexed. We've also upgraded the fences and gates in the back yard so there's no way dogs can get in or out.

Well I woke up this morning to find she's cloned herself, or maybe I'm seeing double? Nope definitely 2 dogs and from the way he relieves himself, it appears one of them is male. How did I end up with an extra dog in the back yard?

From that I can tell, someone has seen a dog that looks like hours roaming the street. Thinking it was our dog, they've picked it up, opened the gate, and placed the dog into the yard thinking they were doing me a favour.

The dog has no collar so I don't have a name or any contact details. He seems very friendly so I figure there's someone out there who's sad about losing a pet. So I took it to the vet to see if he had a microchip. No Microchip! The vet instructs me to take it the the dog pound because owners of missing dogs will usually look for them there. So I drove there, only to find they're not open when this working musician is awake.

On the way home from the pound the dog started getting a bit excited as we drove past a certain area, as though he recognised his surroundings. I drove around the block to see if he'd react that way a second time and sure enough, he got excited at the same spot. So I pulled over and started knocking on doors to ask if anyone nearby owned a dog. I turned out to be a dead end. All the dogs on that street were present and accounted for. A third sweep of the area got no reaction from the dog. I figure that he may have thought he recognied the area, but as we walked around he realised he wasn't where he thought he was.

So I'm stuck with an extra dog for a while. I may have to forgo sleep and get him to the pound tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, what should I call him? I'm trying to think of a name that has a reference to a well know case of mistaken identity? Anyone?

2. Jadie. Jadie= JD=John Doe. Plus, Jadie is a cute name.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :rollno:

Call him b****. Even though he is a he and not a she. It's funny but it gets old. It's not your dog though so by the time it's dull then he will be gone.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Jadie it is!

I took him to the pound this morning. Last night's gig was a late one so I must have had one eye only half open and the other one mostly closed. They gave him a checkup and he is in good health, which again suggests someone's been looking after him, and that someone will be looking for him. They hadn't recieved any calls yet asking for a dog of his description but this is common. Apparently most owners give heir dog 2 or 3 days to make their own way home. Bad move. It gives them a 3 day head start and also gives them time to bond with whoever finds them.

I had to ask what will happen if no-one claims him, fearful that the answer may be something I didn't want to hear. Apparently they used to put them to sleep years ago but nowdays the re-home them. I asked if it would be possible for me to have him back if no-one claims him. Apparently they're OK with it, but Ill have to go back and claim him through the proper channels, maening someone else might get to him first. That's OK. As long as he goes to a good home I'm happy.

5. hehe, I win!

I hope his owner claims him, unless you want him, then I hope you keep him!