Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Duty Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Feb 22, 2003.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    O K............. so I have a pair of speakers that I want to build cabs for. I would like to use them for my bass or for P A applications if I choose. If I tune them for low B so I can use them for my bass, what effect will that have on them if I use them for P A work as well? Can this work? Very Well?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Generally speaking, PA drivers are more sensitive than bass guitar drivers, and the bass guitar application is more demanding in terms of low-end frequency response.

Your plan will work fine as long as you plan on biamping and using your bass guitar speakers as subs underneath PA mains.

If you plan on using your bass speakers as full-range PA speakers they will probably fall pretty short on highs.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    The speakers I have are actually P A speakers that have an Fs of 53 hz. My question was more concerning tuning them to 31 hz and the effect this would have on their performance as P A speakers?

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you tune them low you will probably notice some rolloff between Fs and the tuning frequency. Since PA stuff will not do much down there I doubt you'll even hear it.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    To tune a speaker with a Fs of 53 down to 31Hz, you'll secrifice quite a bit of sensitivity (volume). This is kinda why ACME speakers need so much watts to push em along.

I don't think I'd use these speakers for bass, especially not for a 5 string. Grab a decent horn and build some PA mid-highs instead, then wack a proper sub under it.

It'll be a nice PA that will double as a bass rig if needed. Doesn't seem to work the other way round...