1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

double duty, different tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ubernator, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    So I arranged it for the original band I play with to take the opening spot for a larger show I am co headlining in my tribute band.

I am currently using my 2 peavey basses for the original in standard tuning, and my goth Thunderbird and olp hot rodded passive stingray in drop c for the tribute.

I don't like gigging without a backup, and the schedule is too tight to allow replacing a string without losing a song or 2.

So I am pretty sure I will get there early enough for a good parking spot by the gate to the backstage area, which is in front parking lot and should be well watched and visible from the door. And leave the other 2 basses in the car when playing with the other band. Or perhaps "backstage", but at this venue, backstage is an ez up tent in the back patio, seperated from the smoking patio by the equivalent of a backyard fence/gate. And we will be sharing it with the other headliner, and possibly the support act as well.

What would all of you do?
    I know many will say bring one bass for each band and just chance it.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    When I was a gigging musician, many moons ago, I had a fretted and fretless; I switched back and forth as needed. I then started getting lazy and switched only once...finished the gig with the fretless, and everything always worked out fine.
    So in a sense, I had a back up that I actually used during the gig, but t wasn't really necessary. Nothing ever happened to either one of those basses, even when I dropped my E down to B for one song and then back up to E for the next.
    If you have good basses that don't ever see failure, one should be enough. But if you break a string (I never did while playing), it might be quicker and easier to just retune one of the others rather than replacing a string...
    Just my $.02...

3. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I have broken strings live before, more than once or twice

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I would ask one of the other dudes in the headliner band to bring both of the down tuned basses with them for me.

Just drop them off at one of the other guys house and you won't have to give them a thought while you're playing with the first band.

What band do you tribute?

5. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    o_O:eyebrow:

Points for thinking outside the box, way outside the box.

Which of course would require a relationship with the other band I do not have. As well as living remotely in the same area, which I don't. I have gig bags, all 4 basses will be coming with me, if I break a string the backup is in tune on a stand. Having them with someone else is perhaps more to worry shout.:blackeye:

Answer, SOAD, other headliner, one of the many iron maiden tributes in the area. We at least have far less competition, so far we are filling an empty niche in the area.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Yes, I realize I was being very rhetorical with this thread. Hence it not exactly going viral.

Retuning makes either a really sloppy loose bass one way, or bridge wires the other way.

I don't mind bringing them all, but probably won't leave them all in the club when I am on stage, security is too easy to fool by someone who knows the trick is to simply look like you are supposed to be backstage loading gear out...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like a PITB either way. I don't suppose not breaking strings is in the equation, eh? Guess you're stuck. I don't know if I'd want to leave stuff in a car at a club like that, but I'd be lying if I said I've never done it. But I've never had anything stolen that way, either. How secure is your vehicle?

8. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    It has an alarm, but last year I had a boogie 112 guitar cab stolen in broad daylight, they broke the window, and the alarm alerted me.enough to stop them getting my m80 amp too, but the cops never recovered the boogie. This club however, the chances of someone doing that while the show is going on and the door guy is there is pretty slim. My only concern is my remote opening the car from my pocket while I am playing. So I might clip my keys to my amp handle while I am playing. I might also ask another band member with an actual trunk to keep the other basses in. I'm sure it will be OK, but with 5 bands on the schedule a string change means a lost song so the PITA of 4 basses it is. I am going to get there early and hope I can get a really good spot close to the door guy, and let him know I am the only one authorized to be putting stuff in or out of the car.