Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double duty gig amp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Groovski, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    I play in an ORIGINAL original, we call it Southwestern Rock. Kinda Southern Rock with a twist of Latin, now and some Country spiced up with Blues, then a pinch of Soul flavored Bluegrass. No Crap. <-----For real we really do. Oh yeah, There is some Indian (native american) stuffing in there too.
    Anyway, I play electric most of the night through a Eden Nemisis 210 looped to a Peavey TNT 160. I am about to incorporate my upright into about 1/3 of the show.
    Is there a single amp that will be able to compete with a LOUD band and still cut through nicely?

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    In my lowly opinion, and being in a similar situation (I play both plank and DB, styles ranging from Funk, Jazz, Latin, Southern Rock), the most important thing is either getting a two channel amp or a good preamp (I use the Raven Labs MDB1 DI, as well as having a K&K preamp attached to my DB). The hardest thing about all this is getting good consistent levels as you switch instruments. I personally use a Carvin RC210 (but I switched out the factory speakers with Eminence Deltas), which seems to be plenty - I occasionally tack on an additional 15" for big rooms. I find that I have to compromise on amp settings - I use some compression for instance whereas I wouldn't use any for a DB only gig.

There's alot of other amps that might work for this, but I'm not much of a gearhead. I think there's plenty of doublers on the boards who can offer opinions as well though.

3. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Thanks lermgalieu,
    I do appreciate the input.
    :D

4. The 2-10s are good for helping you hear yourself well on stage without being too loud for a small to medium sized room. If you can't line-out to the house P.A., it's good to have an added 15 to spread your sound into the room. Just don't stand in front of your amp when you're playing upright, and never put your bass signal through the floor monitors.
    Other than that, just make sure you have control of the EQ and an amp louder than the damn guitar player(s)!

5. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Thanks Scotgun, all info is helpful here :D