1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double gig bag. What do you like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Sep 29, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would like some recommendations from you guys for which double gig bag to get. I will be carrying two standard size basses. Nothing different. All I really care about is protecting the basses and not cutting my arm off at the shoulder while carrying.

Aesthetics are a very distant third. Budget (without getting carried away) is a non issue. I'm not going to spend $1000 on one because that's silly. But I have no problem shelling out some dough for one that will last and be comfortable to carry.

Backpack style straps or one shoulder ones are both fine.

2. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
  3. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I use the Mono M80 dual bag and really like it. Great in every way for me. Some find the storage space limited but it will fit everything I need in it

4. krysh

krysh

May 27, 2008
    hamburg * germany
    I have a harvest canvas doublebag.
    built to last and no problems carrying 2 basses on the back for a good 1/2 hour walk.

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I had Warwik/Rock Case double gigbag in the past (sold it when I sold that warwick bass). I liked the gig bag a lot and will certainly buy one again.

6. I've been using Ritter for a while and like the bass and guitar bags I have. The only issue I had was breaking a buckle in a car door and they sent me a replacement really fast.

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I have had several:

Protec Double Gig Bag: Simple and outstanding for the money.

Mono M80 Double: Pretty but too big and bulky for me. Also, I do NOT like that the compartments open on opposite sides of the bag. Seems efficient, but it's an accident waiting to happen. More of a case than a bag.

iGig 515 Double: Again, slick looking but too bulky. And, I am not a fan of the one-opening-with-a-moving-divider-beween-the-basses design. More of a case than a bag.

I have wound up with the MTD Double Gig Bag. Not too bulky, but good protection, not way expensive, and well made. I am very satisfied with it, and feel like I got exactly what I paid for. Both compartments open from the same side.

8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I use the Mooradian double bag and have been very happy with it. The case alone is very light, with lots of pocket storage and decent protection.

9. MegaSwing

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I narrowly missed a Mooradian. I definitely wanted to try one.

10. I was gonna say that, it is not only an accident waiting to happen but annoying as well, if you want to switch between both basses and there's really just very little space you'll end up turning the bag around and around every time...

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Mooradian seems interesting. Thanks for all the suggestions guy! Anyone else?

12. Weight becomes key (IMO) once you are carrying around two basses.

For a hybrid bag (i.e., a bag that offers significantly more protection than a typical soft gig bag), the Mono double bag is great. Two totally separate compartments with their own zippers (key for me), good protection, and lighter than most single bass bags. The downside, somewhat limited accessory pocket space. Very nice though.

For a more traditional soft bag... Mooradian is very good. Big, classic accessory pocket (basically just a big pouch), very lightweight, great quality, average protection. Can't remember if that bag has separate compartments/zippers for each bass, or just a divider. I would never buy a double bag without that feature quite frankly.

13. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I have an Undercover that I purchased a fews years ago from Bass Central. IMO, it's a very well constructed/protective meat and potatoes double bag.

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for the input KJung. I don't need much in the way of pockets. I have a huge gear box for all that stuff. But for me personally I don't need armor like protection either. I don't fly with basses any more so it's pretty much from my car to the bar.

Good insight all around though.

15. You would probably dig the Mono then. Nice compromise between enough protection that if the bag gets dropped or knocked over, most likely no damage will be done, and light enough weight that you don't really notice that it is a hybrid. Enough pocket space for a couple cables, a tuner and a strap, etc.

Definitely not enough protection to check through though. I think the only bag currently on the market that would be able to handle that is the Reunion Blues Continental, but the single version is bigger and heavier than the Mono Double. No free lunch:)

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No kidding. That can be said for just about everything.

17. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    It has a nylon covered foam divider.

18. MegaSwing

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Good to know. I don't want to try one now. ;)

Having separate compartments is a strike issue for me.

19. I am using a Fender Deluxe double gig bag has room for most sized basses and plenty of zipper pockets for your "stuff"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MegaSwing

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    ^^^
    I have one of these too. I like this bag, but I wish the bottom of it were padded better for when you lean it upright. You feel the bottom of the bass against the floor too much.