Double gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Where could I go about getting one of these babies? Some times it's nice to have both basses around if I'm looking for different tones I can only get out of one bass, and other tones I can only get out of the other.
    Also, I might be in 3 bands next year, one of them as rhythm guitarist. Then, instead of having to lug 2 or 3 gig bags to school for rehearsals or whatever, I could just grab my double.

And since I'll be in the US over summer, you can go ahead & suggest any of the stores in the US, more than preferably in the Bay Area, but if you can give me a place that has double gig bags for cheaper than most places that's in the LA area, go ahead & suggest it too. I might be a little busy, though, and probably won't get to check out many stores while I'm in LA for a week.

Oh yeah, if there's such thing as a triple gig bag, that'd be kinda spiffy, too. :p But then again, I dunno if I'd want upwards of 20 pounds of wood & metal hanging off my shoulders, plus my school bag... :D:p
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sheepy, got just the bag for ya!

Undercover Cases Double Bass Bag.

I have one, the guitarist in my band has the guitar version. VERY well padded and sturdy (1" of heavy foam around BOTH basses), plenty of pockets for storage, a hook for hanging in the garment closet on airplanes (see, it's a hang up bag, now shut up you ditzy flight attendant! ;) ), heavy padded double straps (like a knapsack), and comes in several cool colors (I got the bright red one, can't miss it! :eek: ).

I'm sure there are several places which you can find them at, I got mine at work - Bass Central. We sell the bass one for ~$170 USD, and it's well worth it. The list on the bag is $235. If you can't track one down anywhere else, contact us at BC:

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I picked up the Fender Double gig bag for $50 at MARS. It works well, has plenty of padding, and two nice pockets. I'm sure the one Gard speaks of is much nicer, but the Fender works fine for me. IF you do alot of traveling, though, I'm sure the extra Dough for the Undercover bag is worth the price in peace of mind.
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I also use the Fender double gig bag, and I've been very pleased with it. I scored it for $25, brand new on eBay.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I also have a Double Fender. I think it's great. I leave my cases in the basement and store the instruments in the double gig bag. It's also sturdy enough to take around, but kinda heavy. I usually only take one bass per gig anyway, but it'sgood to know I can take two without making my rig clumsier.

Reunion Blues makes a double gig bag too, but the cost, oy...

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Gelb Music in Redwood City (in the Bay Area) carries the aformentioned Undercover Double Bag, I got one and its great. Call Ed at 1-650-365-8878
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    How much, roughly?

8. Ya, how much would I be expecting to pay for that double bag over at Gelb? If it's much more than what Gard's got it for at BC, then I might just see if I can get 'em to ship me one, &...somehow get some cash over to them... :p

Oh yeah, and about that thing...I've got 2 single gig bags right now, but the covering stuff has ripped at the edges on both of 'em, exposing the padding. It also means that the padding pops up a wee bit leaving nothing but a thin layer of nylon, or whatever that interior material is, protecting vertain parts of my basses, like the upper horn and the bottom of the body.
    I wouldn't expect this to happen with an Undercover double gig bag, would I?
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sheep -

No, I don't think you'll see the Undercover bag falling apart anytime soon, unless you really trash it. They're built pretty sturdily, to say the least.

As for getting one from BC, we're just a phone call or e-mail away (if you're gonna call, the hours of operation are 10am-6pm Eastern, which is what about 12 hrs off from you???). We ship overseas pretty often, so it's nothing that can't be done, but I'm not sure what kind of shipping charges and duties you'll have to deal with that way.
  10. Well Gard, I could aways have you ship it to my grandmother's place over in Palo Alto, where I can pick it up when I get there. :D would one go about paying for that kinda thing? The only stuff I ever get shipped from overseas is when I order stuff from

But then...anyone have any ideas with what I can do with my old gig bags if I get one of these babies? They're eating up space in my room, which is still used as the 'spare storage space' room for everything. I've got a ladder in here, and half of my closet and drawer space is filled with winter clothes and blankets during the summer, and summer clothes & blankets during the winter. If I could get that stuff cleared out, I could store my gig bags & stuff in there. But otherwise...are there any other creative uses for these things? I'd use one to carry my BB gun around the place if I'm ever going to war games with friends & stuff, but I've got a bag that's specifically for my gun. But then again, it's not padded...but even a guitar gig bag is too long for an XM-177 with the butt fully extended.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sheepinator -

Paying for stuff going overseas is typically done by credit card, although we have also gotten some money orders on overseas purchases.

We've also used the "ship it to a relative in the states" trick to help people save on shipping and duty fees. That is not any trouble at all, if you wanted to do it that way. Either way, as an out of state sale (to Hong Kong or Palo Alto), you won't pay sales tax, which will save you a few bucks, but you will pay shipping, which will be considerably less to Palo Alto (~$20, USD).
  12. Gardy poos :)confused::confused:):
    That adds up to a total of $190, huh...
    I doubt my parents'll pay for that. But if I get some cash for my birthday, then I'll get considerably more than $190...:D:D
  13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Looks like you've already decided on the Undercover bag, Sheepman. Probably a good choice if Gard and other world-travelers say so! I can chip in with a rec for Levy's bags, too. I've been using a Tobias (made by Levy's) double bass bag for years now and it's tough and trustworthy. It's carried lots of $$ lots of miles. I bought it used, and it had already seen some use.
  14. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Undercover and Levys bags sound good, and certainly attract this recent convert to gig bags.

Like others, I picked up a Fender double gig bag cheap and have been using it with great satisfaction the last few months. I heard someone mention the D rings can separate - mine haven't but I'll probably replace the four with those heavy key rings for safety's sake. Maybe it won't hold up like the higher quality ones, but when I just went to look at it again I don't see anything obvious that makes me want to upgrade (other than I seldom need too many excuses to upgrade).

Any Undercover or Levy's user with exposure to the Fender care to comment on the differences/improvements??
  15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got a reunion blues double bag, and I can't say I'm totally thrilled with it. Now I've had it for 5 years, but it's been back to the factory once because the shoulder straps were falling apart. And it needs to go back again because on the bottom of the bag, the seams are separating. I'll send it back and they'll repair it for free, but I won't buy another. And, after having a double bag, I probaby won't buy another. Too heavy for more than occasional use, IMO.
  16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have the Undercover Double Bass bag and I use it all the time, it's the only stock bag that my Alembic Series II will fit in. It's very durable and the large pockets come in handy. You can pick one up at the LA Bass Exchange.
  17. How much would i expect to pay for one over at LA Bass Exchange?
  18. OoOoOoOoOh...
    Gard, can ya beat that price? :D:p

But then again, I guess I should keep in mind that I might not have the time to stop by LA Bass Exchange while I'm down in the LA area. :(
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey Gard~

Does the BC undercover bag have a cheesy logo on it? I like 'em plain, unless they say Lakland on them. This is the same as the Lakland bag, right?