Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Gig bag?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chipj2001, Sep 14, 2003.

1. chipj2001

chipj2001

Sep 14, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I want a double gig bag for my 6 string fretted and my 6 string fretless. Any suggestions? I've only been able to find a fender bag for $50 and bags on basscentral.com for about $200. I'm looking for something inbetween. Or maybe one of the bags from basscentral.com, if I can find it used. Thanks guys!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice rig & gear listed in your profile!

I'm half looking for a twin Bass bag too.
    I'm thinking I may just save and buy one new... they are a tough find.

[edit] oops, thought you were looking for someone to sell you one. [/edit]

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've one of the Fender double gig bags for about two years. I'm in and out with it all the time and some of the hardware broke, but I fixed it. You do get what you paid for.

Sadowsky sells a double bag for $175.00. I don't own one but I've seen them, and they're the genuine article that's built to last a lifetime.

My experience with discount gig bags tells me that it's better to spend the money on the front end and buy the best to begin with, as opposed to buying a step down and having to replace regularly.

Take a look at Levy bags. I don't have the url, but they're a big outfit that may have what you want at the price you are happy with.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Give Gard a call at BC. I bought an UnderCover double bag from him, and it simply rules. Pay the extra freight for it ... how much are your basses worth?

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I do not reccommend the Fender. My strap hardware broke almost right away, and the straps were never comfortable to begin with.

Mark

6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, best quality for the money.

7. chipj2001

chipj2001

Sep 14, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yea...I figured it would be worth it just to go all out and buy the best. It just hurts to shell out 200 bucks for something that just carries stuff. But it's a must. My modulus 6 string fretted was $2400 and my hanewinckel 6 string fretless was $2800. Clearly precious cargo deserving a good case.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Don't cheap out. Your gear is too precious to you, I bet. Undercover bags are great. I bought one from BC and it rules. Good luck

Rob

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I too have been using the Fender double gig bag for a few years. It does the job, but it's not at all first class if you're carrying a couple of high end basses, or your fav bass and a back up.

I'm going to have to look into this Undercover thing. Thanks!

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'd love to get a Ritter Bag

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Does Ritter do a double?

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah man you've got nice basses... Don't get a cheap bag that may leave you wanting. Go with the UnderCover double Gig bag... I bought Mine from gard about 2 years ago and I absolutely think it Rocks Hard Tasty Abs... its worth the $200 IMO

13. Two years of use and my Fender double bag is falling apart.

14. I bought a PV double bass bag 3-4 years ago and it has worked nicely it was 100.00 list. I added a pair of well padded shoulder straps and had all the stress points double or quadruple stitched and it has held up nicely considering that it's seen a lot of use. I am considering getting either a Sadowsky or a Lakland Double bag in a year or so when this one gets ragged. I was given a Fender double bag but use it only at home for extra bass storage, I don't think I'd ever leave home with it, crappy hardware and soft padding.

15. i dont really trust gig bags...i gues si might be paranoid, but yeah, i'd go for hard cases. They're stronger, faster, and imho, better.

16. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Beat up the case, not the bass! With over $5000 in basses, why would you trust it to some material gig bag? One slip and your babies may be scarred for life. :eek: :bawl:

17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I have one.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use two bags.

I've considered getting a double but with multiple basses it's less trouble with singles. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I bought my three main bags for around $100 total and they've been great. Look like leather, wear like iron (no, vinyl does not rust).

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And take up more space and tear up the interior of a car and don't share at recess and...

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good point Brad,

I especially feel that way when I'm lugging two heavey basses in my Fender double gig bag and they really weigh me down. Sometimes getting around with two basses in separate bags can be less awkward.