1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

double jointed thumbs?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by airrick, Apr 1, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    whats the advantage?

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the double-jointed thing is better for the thump technique in which you bounce off the string; I'd imagine it'd be wierd for the 'follow-through' technique, like for double-thumbing.

My thumbs don't naturally hyper-extend, and the right thumb was injured once (rewinding aluminum tape deck reel), so it's stiffer than the other - I think it has HELPED my double-thumbing!

Joe

3. I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

I do have double jointed thumbs (in that, at the mid joint, they will bend backwards to 90d). In the left hand it can help as I can apply the same force on every string without moving my thumb (bent back on the lows and straight on the highs). In the right it can be a real pain if you play with a pick. If I'm not careful and my right thumb isn't striaght the pick hits the string at an odd angle and makes lots of sting noise. It might make it easier to slap though, as the end of my thumb is paralell with the string and so doesn't catch any of the others.

I guess we need a doctor, I really don't know. Why do you ask?

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    The tumb on my left/fretting hand bends back at 90 Degrees, so it makes playing on that side a bit easier as I am able to flatten the pad entirely against the back of the neck without having it creep over the top like it tends to do with a fair number of people.

Don't know if its an advantage or not, never really thought about it, just play and go with what works for you.

5. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I actually have a triple joint (can pivot 90 degrees in two different directions) in my left thumb and a double joint in my right. Truthfully, I really don't see any advantage as popping the joints would seem to slow me down. On my left thumb, it does made weird chords easier as I can anchor my thumb on the back of the fretboard at two different angles, but I don't think it's anything that one without even a double joint couldn't accomplish.

6. Ive got double jointed thumbs, I think it makes playing a lil more comfortible, thats all.

7. I have double jointed thumbs, IMO it makes slapping easier as I can hold my wrist at a more comfortable posistion. For me the jury is out on the double thumbing.

lowsound

8. My friend's thumb bends back about ninety degrees. He can double slap like mad. Jaco had thumbs like that too.