Double Muff vs American Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by murdermilk, Aug 28, 2004.

1. EHX Double Muff

1 vote(s)
  2. EHX American Big Muff Pi

8 vote(s)
  1. murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    My local Guitar Center doesn't have any EHX pedals in stock and has a "no returns" policy on special orders, but I talked them into ordering a Double Muff and a Big Muff for me if I guaranteed I'd buy at least one, and they said they'd give me a refund on the second.

The store said they'd get them in about a week, and I'll go down and try them out and decide which one I want, but until then, I am asking for opinions and for little bits of information I couldn't get from an in-store try out, like which is more durable and which lasts longer on a single battery.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    ***Sigh*** Probably the question I answer most but I can't find my answer either, so here goes:

I assume you already know the Double Muff is almost but not quite like two Big Muffs. The Big Muff has more variation with tone, which I find VERY usefull with bass, but the Double Muff has more grit when you kick it in.

The Double Muff is two very basic muff fuzz circuits together, with simple gain controls and that's it. The Big Muff has the added tone and sustain knobs which allow you to REALLY dial something in. In this, I prefer the Big Muff, but it needs a few small mods (more on this later) but out of the box I found the Double Muff more appealing.

The Double Muff in single mode is quite mellow, almost like a DOD 250 with a slight fuzz... much more suble than a Big Muff Pi, but in Double Mode, there's no more fuzz that can be had. With bass, I find it almost impossible to differentiate the notes in double mode with the volume cranked. The American Big Muff is a great medium between single and double modes on the Double, with much more control over your tone.

Now, as far as your questions: either way the battery will last ~300 hours or so, depending on use. It seems like a while, until it dies in the middle of a set and you're digging around for a wee little screwdriver to get that tiny little pain in the arse screw out. Get the adapter, save much more money in the long run, especially with prices of batteries these days.

(now, about the mods: the BMP is notorious for losing much bottom end, which I have devised a very simple cure for, a few component swaps and whatnot. MJ5150 can attest to the improvement in tone. PM me for more info)