1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double NBD and Family Reunion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    What we gots here is a very, very special new bass day. For starters, I got two cool retro instruments - both made in China.

First we have the Eastwood Hurricane, a Magnatone Hurricane reissue that is a pretty nasally-sounding beast. Partially contoured body, one single coil pickup in the P position, and a real nice vintage feel with the pup/bridge covers make this a super cool bass. Minor dent B-stock meant $239 plus shipping.

Second, we have the 2012 Ibanez Destroyer Bass reissue DTB100. A P bass in an Explorer body, this bad boy is a great find. Since the bass was damaged, I got $65 off making this purchase $235 shipped. True P sound, this one gives that extreme look with a classic tone.

What makes this really special is the reunion. Both instruments were delivered to my fiancee's house, where I am moving to soon. I decided after work to set up all the instruments together in the same room. After a long time, all these instruments are coming and staying together permanently. We had to do a quick family photo.

From left to right:
    Ibanez Destroyer Bass DTB100
    Eastwood Hurricane
    Fender American Standard Precision Bass V #2
    Fender American Standard Precision Bass V #1
    Fender Standard Precision Bass
    Fender Sting Precision Bass
    G&L L5000

I feel so proud and happy!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380161601.849884.

2. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Another, more organized group photo, arrangement courtesy of my fiancée.

[​IMG]

3. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    :( No pat on the back?

I'd like to add that every bass here is now set up, and strung with D'Addario Chromes.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I have a strong feeling you like P-bass thump...

Sweet collection man! I really like all the 5 String P's!

5. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Thanks, the Fender P5s are my favorites too! Yeah, I've come to a point where I only really want to play Ps. They just sound right and I love how simple the design is. It's not solely thump though (the Chromes give it some edge), and each P has a flavor of it's own.

For instance, 5 of the 7 basses have standard split pickups. The other two - the Hurricane and the Sting P - are single coils. However, they don't really sound like each other. The Sting has the '51 style single coil, and it's a little closer to the neck, giving it a more burpy sound. However, the Hurricane has a single J bass pickup a tad closer to the bridge than where a P would normally be. When you play it between the covers (my preferred place to play it) it's growly and a little nasally. These seemingly slight variations make for great flavors of the same basic concept.

Even the more standard Ps have their differences. The Fender MIA P5s are pretty warm and rounded. The MIM Standard is very bright and a little scooped. The L5000 is aggressive and middy. The Destroyer is brighter than the Fender P5s, but also very rounded.

Actually is enough variety for a bunch of P basses. :)

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That 5er P looks swanky, nice fam

7. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Thanks! Which P5 in the 2nd photo? Candy Cola (far left) or the Mystic Red build (far right)?

...or the L5000? :bag:

8. Inocebo

Inocebo

May 31, 2013
    Daaaang! That's about it :p Nice backdrop too.

9. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    That came from my fiancee's dad's Chinese restaurant that was across the street from the UN in the mid 90's. It DOES make a nice backdrop :bassist:

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It's not the same bass photoshopped back in to make it look like you have more basses??

11. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    If it was, it wouldn't look that good!

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I have a bunch of different style basses, but I agree with you about P's. The basses I use most are either a Precision bass, or at least a bass that can cop that kind of vibe.