Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double neck bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Oct 17, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There was a post on here just about a week ago or so about Hembry Guitars. I think someone was thinking about getting a custom done.

I kinda like it, but I've always been partial to doublenecks. The only thin I don't like is the headstocks. They remind me of a Bongo headstock, which IMO isn't bad, but doesn't belong on a Jazz.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wow, that's EXTREMELY inexpensive.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Two fretted 4 string necks :eyebrow: ........... I think a 11 string wound be more practical. Now if one was a fretless, 8 or 12 string, piccolo or tuned SUB-contra I'd change my mind :p

4. Take the frets off one neck and add some flatwounds and you have a cool 'lil bass.

...but I'd never be caught dead playing it.

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well, the auction does say that the stringing and tuning options are up to you, so piccolo or sub-contra are within the realm of posibilities, but if you subscribe to Jaquo's sub-contra teachings, I doubt this bass will be up to the task.

6. I'm not really up on medical ethics, but....

that bass should have been surgically separated at birth.

7. Bass Heaven

Bass Heaven

Jul 27, 2005
    I can't really see the point in 2 identical 4 string basses.
    One should at least be short scale, or an 8 string or 12 string.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    If you hate the feel or ERBs, you could tune one F#,B,E,A then the other D,G,C,F. Or do as Tim C. from Rage does with his double neck. One neck B,E,A,D and one E,A,D,G

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I was being somewhat facetious.

Even though I really like the idea of sub-contra basses I disagree with Jaquo on almost all of his ideas of "how it should be", but I don’t want to waste my time and energy bothering to argue about it with him.

As for the bass in this thread; I think it wound be cool to de-fret one of the necks.

10. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Just looking at that bass makes my back hurt. That thing must weigh 15 pounds.

Kai Eckhardt played a doubleneck on the John McLaughlin "Live at Royal Hall" recording - I listened to that recording for years until I saw a video clip from it and was bewildered at how he switched from fretted to fretless basses in the middle of songs. I failed to consider the obvious. However, new pictures of Kai show him using some kind of weird strap that supports his shoulders from multiple directions, so the doubleneck must have hurt his back too.

Kai, are you on here? Can you comment?

11. Billy Shean also has a double neck bass like this, I personally don't see much use for such a setup, i would rather have a 5-string and i really only see a need for haveing no B string, if you are slapping, but even then I would still rather have 2 basses then that setup, that is a really cheap price for a double neck bass though! and no reserve? I can't belive that! I would just defret one of the necks, or maybe tune one neck to 5ths to be an Octave below a cello, CGDA - "cello! it's a bass!"

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I miss my double neck bass. It was a 4/8 string. SHould have never sold it. THis one is pretty cool though. I agree, a double neck of the same bass, what would be the point?
    It is a cool looking bass though.

13. two fours attached is somewhat strange imo a 4 and an 8 would be better a la Coheed and Cambria 6 and 12 guitar (and Jimmy Page for that matter)

but did anyone else think this was a thread about derek smalls when they read the title :bassist:

14. you refer to a 6/12 double neck guitar to coheed and cambria before jimmy page? thats a no-no :rollno:

15. BIG NO NO, but im not offended in anyway just watch yourself in dark alleys ;)

16. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Townshend used one too ya know :p

17. and the same goes for him, coheed and cambria is the LAST thing i would think of when i think of a double neck guitar

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

with all due respect,one can talk to me,what is there to argue about,I don't think you would be wasting your time because your concept is your concept.since you like the idea of the (C# F# B E)why do you disagree on almost all aspects of my concept of the subcontra bass?when you have not to my knowledge made one or spent some serious hands on time with one.and please I am not trying to start a war,I feel that I am asking a legit ? and hope that you and I can share some views and in site into this instrument.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I'll pm you instead of derailing the thread any further.