Double neck basses that are actually useful

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    What strikes me as odd, is that people like Billy Sheehan and Tim Commerford own and play custom made double neck basses from which both halves are identical to each other.

It's an entirely different story with the double neck of Rinus Gerritsen from The Golden Earring.

Rinus plays a custom built double neck in the shape of a Danelectro longhorn (A bass which he was a well known fan of) But the halves are COMPLETELY different from each other.

The upper half of the bass has a Fender P-bass neck, Bill Lawrence pickups and that portion of the body is made from solid alder.

The lower half of the bass is hollow with a masonite plate fitted flush to the top of the body, the Dano neck is a 30 inch short scale and it has 24 frets, the lowerhalf also has a kahler whammy.

When in concert Rinus Plays almost the entire set on this double neck, interchanging necks when a different sound is needed, it has the "Boom" of a P-bass and the twang of a Dano.
  2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    wow that's awesome! does anyone know how much that sucker weighs? I assume it wouldn't be too bad with half of it being hollow.
    looks good!
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Billy has one of his necks tuned differenetly than the other, bead im assuming.
  4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    You assume correctly.
  5. doesn't tim do that BEAD + EADG thing too?

i'm waiting to see a doubleneck bass being played like justin king plays his double necks...
  6. that's cool...good to see someone is putting those to some use.
  7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Why not just get a five string?

I mean really... if the tuning is the only difference, then adding another neck is just absurd.
  8. he may not be comfortable on 5, so he uses a doubleneck
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Then you have the double necks that are fretted and fretless...

ANd don't forget Mark Egan's 4 string fretless / 8 string doubled Pedulla
  10. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    And so two necks are more comfortable than an extra string?

The logic just doesn't make sense to me.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't get my hand around some five string necks comfortably, so I tune one bass BEAD and keep another EADG. In the extreme case where you have lots of money, and the need for both in the same song, you buy a doubleneck to string that way. Part show, part need, part heavy. Simple as that.

Whatever floats your boat man.
  12. 5 STRING TOP

Works for me!

Model #: USB-405
    High Quality Guitar made in Korea
    List Price: $1,500.00
    Case: Hard Shell
    Body: Solid Swamp Ash w/ Quilted Flame Maple Top
    Neck: Hard Maple
    F/B: Ebonal (Fretless) Rosewood (Fretted)
    Beautiful Bat In-Lays on Fretted Neck
    Scale: 34"
    Adjustable Truss Rods
    Sealed Tuning Machines
    Width of neck at nut: (Fretless) 1 3/4"
    Width of neck at nut: (Fretted) 1 3/4"
    Pickup: GB4/GB5
    Controls: 2V, 2T, 3T S/W
    Bridge: 1202
    Dimensions: 44 1/2" 18 3/4" x 1 5/8"
    Weight: 13 1/4 pounds
    Color: Trans Black
    Full Warranty through Galveston

Not bad for the money. Under $700. to try something new.
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Two basses with a different tuning makes more sense than one bass with two different necks. If you've got to do it mid-song... I still think it would be easier to just have that one extra string.

The two necks would throw me off, with them being at different height. I'd struggle trying to set my strap to where I could play both comfortably.

I'll never agree... but I'll stop complaining about it now. :D
  14. But are you going to compensate for a fretless with "that one extra string"?

You cant.

Processors are good, but not THAT good.

The IS IS for looks...and it IS heavier.
    This is the only reasonable combination for a doubleneck, in MY opinion.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    JT's Conklin is the best double neck I've ever seen.
  16. sig kills me! Im gonna trademark owe 5 grand!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
  17. Johanas Helborg [sp] had a dounbe necked Wal 4 fretted + 4 fretless.

No pics that I can find though

Chris Squire had a triple necked Wal :eek:

18. As you can see I found a picture of Chris Squires Triple and one of Johans double. Here is another showing the headstock.

19. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    anyone ever saw that episode of the X files where there was some sort of glitch in the time/space continuum, and some things(like those 2 coins) melted together? looking at some of those basses makes me dizzy, it's like 2 allmost identicall basses were standing together, till something horrible happened, and the melted into 1 bass. kinda like a siamese twin
  20. Can you explain why this combination of a doubleneck almost always has the fretless fb on the lower neck? That's something I still can't understand. For me it would seem that the fretless on the upper neck makes intonation easier..

BTW. Wasn't there a TB-user with a beautifull doubleneck Rob Allen? Best looking doubleneck I've ever seen! I'd like to see a picture of that again. :)