Double-neck Idea

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sbassett, Jun 21, 2001.

1. sbassett

Apr 2, 2000
    Although the tenor sax player in my quartet is also a very good guitarist, there are times when we could use both the guitar and the sax. I'm not much of a guitarist (or bassist for that matter, but my bandmates are also my friends, and besides, I own the PA system), but I could handle some simple guitar parts if I could find a way to play both guitar and bass during the same song. Our keyboard player could pick up the bottom end slack while I'm playing an intro, riff, or a verse or two on guitar.
    To pull it off, I would need a guitar-bass doubleneck. Not wanting to spend much money on this little experiment, nor wanting to break my already damaged back with two full-sized instruments, I came on the idea to mount my DeArmond Ashbory Bass to an old Fender Squier Bullet guitar (3/4 size Strat body) that has fairly decent tone.
    The question is how? I don't want to forever destroy the ability to use either instrument again separately. One possibility would be to get some heavy plexiglass and form a brace that would attach (using screws, I guess) to the backs of each instrument to hold them together and steady and the right distance apart. The Ashbory would be on top and the Bullet on the bottom. The Ashbory is light enough that th strap on the Bullet should be sufficient to hold both of them on me. Does anyone have any other ideas?
  2. What about just using a full height stand for the guitar or bass that holds it in the playing position. I've seen some guys use these for acoustic intro's and the like. They just swing their main axe behind them and step up to the mounted instrument.

Beats putting holes in the instruments and having to wear both during the song when both aren't used.
  3. Some strong double sided tape? The stand idea sounds better though.
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    That's funny -- I actually plan to build an Ashbory neck with a purpleheart fingerboard which I'll graft on to a Danelectro white/violet four string bass I have, adding a special bridge pickup and possibly stringing the strings into the body. I thought it would be a great combination and fun to play, as well as light.

Mentioned it to a few different people and I get either "Cool!!" or "You're completely NUTS!"

I have a bad back and usually take a fretted and fretless (or electric upright) to gigs, and this could potentially be a doubleneck I could handle.

The method of mounting your two instruments will depend a lot on position -- the one thing that I know I will have to do with my crazy idea is place the "Ashbory" neck installation in a proper position that allows play, and as well doesn't interfere with right hand access to the regular bass' strings.

Inventive or Insane??? - you be the judge.
  5. once i actually saw an instrument which had 3 bass strings on top, and 5 guitar strings on the bottom. on the same neck!! i only saw it in a photo, but it wasn't a fake. i wonder how that worked...
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    JT! JT! JT! JT!! where are you!! Someone needs your expertise in double necks! :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  8. JT show him the RIC mutant!