Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. josephbass86

josephbass86 Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Am I alone in thinking this is one of the best rock albums of all time?

So many great catchy bass lines, awesome lyrics with tons of heart and humor, crazy angular funky drumming, D. Boon’s awesome telecaster licks, so many different styles and riffs played in such short songs and yet it all sounds cohesive somehow.

Yeah, D. Boon may have not had the greatest singing voice and struggled to hit some of the notes, but in this era of autotune it’s a breath of fresh air to my ears.

I first heard this album about 20 years ago when I first started playing music and it blew me away, and all these decades later it still does. That’s when you know something is timeless, it’s still got the magic.

Just wanted to make a thread celebrating this album’s awesomeness.

R.I.P. D Boon

2. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    20200808_160208.jpg

3. josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    FilterFunk, rufus.K, spatters and 6 others like this.
  4. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    Great, great album. Not sure if I like it more than What Makes A Man Start Fires or The Punchline. Their whole discography is pretty stellar though. Those three dudes were quite special together.

5. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    I first heard the Minutemen when I found 'Ballot Result' at my local library. I loved the quirkiness and diversity of it, and the brevity of the tunes. But this one is their studio masterpiece for sure.

6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    My fave Minutemen song for sure. It was doubly cool played live.

rufus.K, Dave Siff, teh-slb and 4 others like this.
  7. josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Posting one more song from the album and then I’ll stop. One of their best tunes, and really great lyrics that became really poignant with D. Boon’s death.

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    If you click your heels three times, perhaps @watt will appear in the thread.

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010

rufus.K, jw23mind, lermgalieu and 6 others like this.
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Brilliant album, one that took the idea of punk and did something great with it. I love the production too.

rufus.K, jw23mind, lermgalieu and 6 others like this.
  11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I remember them on MTV Cutting Edge. Boone had normal hair during the interviews, but his head was shaved during the live clips from the show. That had me scratching my head.

12. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I love the Minutemen and this is their album I listen to the most. Years ago I threw a party and I put this on right when a friend was leaving. He says, "Man, I can't leave now!" He pulled up a chair and sat in front of the stereo for all 4 sides!

13. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    No, you're not alone. Time is the truest measure of music IMHO. 'Double Nickels' continues to age well. In fact, it's spring cleaning time and I need to clean my garage. This is the album I put on the boom box every year when I clean my garage. It takes me the whole album to do it.

A couple of thoughts on this record FWIW:

1. I loved D Boon's sometimes boomy fat guy voice. It was his God awful guitar tone on this album that I couldn't stand. WAY too much treble and very thin. It tells you all you need to know about the songs and the performances on this album that, despite his crappy tone, it doesn't ruin the songs. In fact, it doesn't even matter.

2. George Hurley is criminally under rated.

3. I secretly thought 'Come on guys, you're being lazy, start writing longer than one minute songs. Or maybe you can't do it.' Then 'Project Mersh' came out. that shut me up.

4. I met these guys on this tour. Nices guys you ever met. I remember sharing a joint with Mike Watt and talking about Paul Simonon and Mike saying how weird it was that he played descending major scales.

14. josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    I agree about Boon’s tone, it got better on Double Nickels but on the earlier stuff it was really abrasive.

Also agree about George Hurley, the man makes me want to put down the bass and pick up sticks. He always sounds like he’s having a blast when he plays.

rufus.K, jw23mind, spatters and 3 others like this.
  15. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Another great one: The album dedicated to Boon, fIREHOSE Ragin full on.
    This album has been a steady pleasure in my life.

rufus.K, LanEvo, Bassist4Eris and 4 others like this.
  16. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    I love D’s brittle, spiky tone. Dude could shred.

17. josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    I could never get into fIREHOSE for some reason. I think it was the guitarists/singers style.

I got into Watt in a pretty big way when I first started playing and got a lot of his bands stuff. The Minutemen and his solo stuff I still spin to this day, but I pulled out Ragin Full On again after not listening to it in years and it still didn’t grab me. Still a great band and Watt and Hurley kill it.

18. josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    For a genre that was known for not having ‘great’ players, there sure was a lot of awesome guitarists in 80s punk/hardcore.

D. Boon, Dr. Know, Bob Mould, Curt Kirkwood, East Bay Ray, Billy Zoom, etc.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    So I can provide evidence that we are in complete agreement, here is my office wall.
    On the other side of the wall (I'm tired and I'm not going to take a photo of it now) there is a flag from Mojave Exodus, see Desolation Center film if you don't know what I'm referring to.
    I have played some shows with them, seen them many times. Dream Told by Moto was the turning point for me when I started to really become invested in practicing my bass with purpose. Dennes Boone was a special soul. Regardless of any opinion of their music they are wonderful people.
    And again, if you haven't seen Desolation Center see it now. Close TB and stream it immediately. Mike and George talking about Boon and the really vintage live footage, it hit close to home.
    upload_2021-5-9_20-8-32.png

rufus.K, HolmeBass, teh-slb and 6 others like this.
  20. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    You're not alone, it's been a fave since the eighties.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021