Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    I’ve covered a handful of Minutemen songs over the years. This is the only one I have posted online at the moment. Not Watt’s most active bass line, but man is it catchy and fun to play.

2. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Definitely one of the greatest records ever.

knumbskull, GregC, pineweasel and 3 others like this.
  3. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    If you or anyone wants a challenge and wants to expand their chops, try 'One Reporter's Opinion.' It took me a little while to get that. It's all Lydian progressions. Probably his toughest bass line to play.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    DogsNbeer, rufus.K, jw23mind and 6 others like this.
  4. blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    My two favorites to play are probably King Of The Hill and Sickles and Hammers. Cut is also a fun track. I’ll try to give One Reporter’s Opinion a run through this week for sure.

jw23mind, GregC, lermgalieu and 2 others like this.
  5. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    If you do just know that there are NO tabs out there. You're on your own. Here are a few hints:

1. The E part is: Open > B (7th fret), E (7th fret) and the major third. He slides up to the E on the 14th fret and hits the major third there, too.
    2. The rest of it is: D, B, G, and B up on the 14th fret, all Lydian, i.e. raised 4th. It goes back and forth between the natural and the raised 4th, with the root and octave.

Metronome speed is 126 BPM. It's a challenging part.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    GregC, spatters and blacktocomm like this.
  6. blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    I appreciate the heads up. Not worried about the lack of tabs though. My ear is usually much more accurate than the tabs floating around on the net anyway.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    For my money one of the more challenging Minutemen lines is “The Politics Of Time”, cool angular sort of part with some odd fingerings.

8. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    That sounds tough. Has a pretty obvious 'Trout Mask Replica' vibe.

TN WOODMAN, GregC, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  9. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    I am a musician today because of Double Nickels on the Dime.

This is not an exaggeration.

When I was a kid, nothing I did ever sounded like the records I liked. When I hit a snare drum, it went "plap", not BOOSH. Guitars and amps anyone I knew could afford went "blat" or "gzzzzz", not KERRANG. Even if I could puzzle out a couple chords, it was a horrible parody. I nearly gave up, because I couldn't see any way to get from here, where I was, to there, where the records were...

...until I heard Double Nickels. (How a suburban kid from nowhere in particular came to hear it, after d. boon's death, is a story in itself.) It sounded "wrong" to me, because it didn't have that AOR sheen I was used to, but the songs and the grooves and the wit and the passion transcended that and made young-misfit-me an instant fan.

Of course I couldn't play it, yet. I was a kid. But it sounded like three people playing instruments, not like the unfathomable studio magic that was 80s rock. I could listen to Double Nickels, hear each instrument, and say to myself "I can figure out how to do that."

@watt , I know you're not around here anymore, but in case you ever see this, you and d. and George are the reason I still make music. Thank you.

10. I love the album cover photo.

When I was little my parents had a VW Beetle similar to that. I remember the speedometer, radio, and metal dashboard.

11. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    You are not alone my friend. I first heard The Roar of the Masses... when my high school friend dropped the needle in a dark bedroom sleepover. Have listened to the album maybe 2,000 times or more. IMO the best album ever made. I revere Watt, Boon and Hurley. I know the sequencing back and forth. Changed my world and still does. This band could be your life. Have a deal with some friend to someday cover the entire record. Here’s me and Watt more recently: ECA5D0A4-BE6D-4E05-9FAD-504CE1909841.jpeg

12. I love the Minutemen!

that is all

13. deesonic

deesonic Supporting Member

May 8, 2005
    Huntsville, Alabama
    One of the greatest punk bass albums ever. One of the greatest albums ever. PERIOD!

14. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    ^^^
    What he said.
    Great stuff. They were singularly unique.
    Two or 3 years ago I saw Watt and his Missing Men at a small bar in downtown LA and it was great seeing minuteman songs played live. No D Boon but still great.
    I played in a band with George Hurley for about 6 months and it was super fun.

15. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Oh man I’m jealous. He sounds like a blast to play with!

GregC likes this.
  16. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    Amazing legendary drummer. You're lucky. When I met George, my impression was that he was the archetypical Southern CA surfer dude. He was basically Jeff Spicolli. In looking at his bio, he was born in Brockton, MA. I can't put that together. Brockton is a rough, old mill town in Southern MA. Just to give you an idea, both Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler fought their way out of Brockton. Guys from Brockton do 2 things really well: give a beating and take a beating. I'd love to know how he's from there. He's the exact opposite. It makes no sense.

17. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I didn’t hang with him much but we practiced in his garage with the big green van parked in the driveway. He also rode a Harley. We played a few tunes at a wedding for some friends of his, that was down the hill from his house, and there were about 25 choppers parked in front. Sort of a biker wedding. It was a trip.

spatters, GregC and shufflebass123 like this.
  18. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    Either way, you're lucky to have played with a legend. I'd love to know how in the world he's from Brockton.

19. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Other than listening to the albums (only thing necessary), and watching Desolation Center (as recommended above), I’d recommend watching We Jam Econo and also, as tear jerking as it is, listening to the interview with Linda Kite (d boon’s girlfriend) in You Don’t Know Mojack podcast.

one comment on guitar tone - some above are somewhat critical. I note that Watt has repeatedly stated that the sonic dynamics were intentionally “political” - ie the guitar all treble and the bass all bass. This resulted in a thin guitar tone on some of the early stuff, but I personally would not change the guitar tone on DNOTD.

20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    You nailed it. For whatever reason, many people think all punk musicians are unskilled bozos like Sid Vicious. 80s punk/hardcore has a long list of monster players (especially drummers).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021