Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I actually heard fIREHOSE first when Ragin' Full On came out and then worked backwards getting into Minutemen. I think Watt and Hurley were one of the best rhythm sections in the 80s, not just in punk but across the board for all genres of rock bands.

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    yep i remember reading this - each instrument deliberately is given its own little kingdom or something (i forget what word he used).

it pushes the sound away from a “normal” rock band into something more tricky and interesting - for me anyway!

a lot of post punk guys (and modern bands influenced by them) started using that thin skronky tele tone, i’m sure some of it was influenced by D Boon.

3. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Fantastic album, and probably one of the most honest recordings I've ever heard. I still listen to it regularly.

MCF, spatters, josephbass86 and 3 others like this.
  4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Granted, it's a slow Sunday night on TB. Nonetheless, interesting to see a thread about The Minutemen sitting atop the charts. Suggests a bit of a sea change here (imho, natch)

5. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    …..Corona, five cent deposit.

GregC, TN WOODMAN and Son of Wobble like this.
  6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Back in the days we were listening to "Corona," my buddies and I were more apt to be caught drinking Burgie, which was 20 cents a can.

7. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I sometimes think d boone could have gone on to even greater things.

josephbass86 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  8. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    as would I.

noahw1, lermgalieu and The Owl like this.
  9. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I never got to see Hurley play, but I still go out for Watt every chance I get. Last time was 2019, incredible!

10. One of my most beloved albums.

I have this weird thing where I don’t want to learn or know any of the tunes on bass. I want it to wash over me purely, just sounds, like in my youth. If I catch myself analyzing a tune or a bass line while listening I stop myself.

Ballot Result is also great. The documentary “We Jam Econo” is fantastic.

MCF, spatters, lermgalieu and 3 others like this.
  11. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    I loved them then and now. I only got to see them once when they opened for REM. boon was hanging out in front of the stage talking to fans before their set. I got to talk with him a while and he was such a nice guy who seemed to be uncomfortable with the separation of crowd and band that arena shows have. I asked him to play Lost by the Meat Puppets and they did. Their set was pretty stellar.

12. Jon Lars

Jon Lars

Mar 16, 2011
    Played with these guys at the Anti-Club in Hollywood. Awesome to see Boone's head just kind of floating along above the crowd. It was very loud and I wasn't familiar with their songs at the time, which made the enlightening experience of hearing them even more incredible.
    The thing is, they were welcoming and enthusiastic about our music. A band didn't often get that treatment in a new city, in those days.

13. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I love anything by Mike Watt from Minutemen, Dos, Firehose, Missingmen, Secondmen, The Jom and Terry show, his time with the Stooges, and he played bass on one of Kelly Clarkson's albums.
    The last show I saw before the pandemic was him at Once Ballroom in Somerville MA. He had that young dude on the drums that was truly amazing.

14. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    This thread sparks joy, to borrow a phrase. Double Nickels had a huge impact on me. I was already a Minuteman fan, picking up What Makes a Man Start Fires? (and then the Punch Line and Buzz or Howl) after reading a passionate column about them in Maximum Rock'n'Roll. Double Nickels expanded the possibilities of what "punk" bass playing could be, and what punk/post-punk music could be, while delivering 40+ great songs.

I got to see the Minutemen live right around the time of the album's release in mid-1984 on a sweaty night in a club in Miami. Mind blowing, to say the least--just regular guys in regular clothes getting on stage and proceeding to melt faces for 2 sets(!). I saw them again the next year on the aforementioned REM tour. Clearly not the same vibe due to the bigger venue and George breaking a snare, which took time to replace, but it was very cool for REM to have them on the bill. (I did notice a Minutemen song in the pre-show music the first time I saw REM.) And REM's encore finished with the Minutemen joining them for a rousing version of Television's See No Evil.

I've continued to follow Watt's output over the years; the first Firehose tour with Sonic Youth sticks out, as does a 2017-ish show with the Meat Puppets and Greg Norton's new band where I got to meet Watt and take picture (gonna have to find that). His work continues to inspire me.

15. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I was there!

noahw1, josephbass86 and Spirit of Ox like this.
  16. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    That was such a great show! That kid on the drums was so amazing, what a prodigy!

jw23mind likes this.
  17. arepa_funk

arepa_funk

Nov 2, 2020
    We Jam Econo is a great documentary about the band, and the friendship between Boon and Watt. Def recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

18. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    There are hundreds here. Great album. I’m a big Mike Watt guy. They were so influential. Tweedy and Farrar both have told how they listened to them for hours in Jay’s bedroom after school. X was
    heavenly influenced by them as well as were others on the L.A. scene.

spatters, josephbass86 and GregC like this.
  19. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    A genre unto themselves.
    Still listen to this record all the time.

20. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    The San Pedro Sound.

spatters and ProbablyTooLoud like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021