Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    I have always played a bit of a mix of punk and funk, and I could never find the right music to scratch that itch. Then I found out about the Minutemen. It was everything I could ever want and the pinnacle of what I wanted to do.

And if you want to listen to something heavily influenced by it, listen to the Wide Awake! album by Parquet Courts. That album was a revelation too.

spatters, josephbass86, MCF and 2 others like this.
  2. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Twinkle, twinkle, blah, blah, blah, etc.

spatters, josephbass86 and lermgalieu like this.
  3. Sweet! "Anchor" is probably my favorite Minutemen song.

4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Ah yes - love that tune.

I agree, and if you read about the album’s genesis, they name check the minutemen.

MCF likes this.
  5. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    Pretty much.

6. I learned from the movie "We Jam Econo" that the Minutemen wanted the instruments to be like 3 distinct entities or "countries" that came together in a song. Boon's tone was purposely trebley because he didn't want it to encroach on the "sovereign" territory of the bass and vice versa.

spatters, The Owl, lermgalieu and 2 others like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    First play of the day!
    upload_2021-5-10_9-12-0.jpeg

8. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    It's such a great album!

That rythm section is the definition of tight. Unbelievable!

spatters, lermgalieu, MCF and 2 others like this.
  9. ellipsis

ellipsis Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    “History Lesson, Pt 2” still gets dust in my eyes to this day.

An amazing album by an amazing band during an astonishing year for music.

spatters, lermgalieu and josephbass86 like this.
  10. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    With the possible exception of Nomeansno and the Bad Brains, I don’t think there was a tighter rhythm section in the 80s punk/hardcore scene.

11. When I was a young man I was pen pals with Watt for a while and saw him play live countless times. He’s a force of nature. The stories about him hitting so hard he punched the pickup through the body of his bass are absolutely plausible.

I even dragged my dad, who’s from Youngstown, to a gig when Ed fROMOHIO was touring with Pair of Pliers or whoever. They had a wonderful time chatting before the show, and dad went bananas from the energy of the set. I’ve never seen him that pumped about anything.

How crazy is it that my dad and I know a guy in the Stooges? He thinks Yes is good rock and roll.

steveinohio, spatters, MCF and 2 others like this.
  12. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You are not alone. It's amazing. One of the albums that convinced me as a young punk that I needed to be able to play with my fingers. Just an amazing trio of true visionary musicians, however you care to classify them.

spatters and lermgalieu like this.
  13. I was late to the party with this one, but wow is it good. I always find myself wanting to hear the version of these songs that is +2 or 3 minutes because I want to hear those cool parts extended out.... but then I remember that this wasn't really the goal for these guys. They did what they wanted, and it was gold. I just listen to each song 3 times in a row, haha.

spatters and lermgalieu like this.
  14. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Maybe my favorite album ever. I've got a neighborhood guys Album Club and on my first turn, I played Double Nickels for the group, most of whom had never heard it. Opened a lot of eyes. I almost always wear a Watt shirt when I gig.

spatters, MCF, Joshua and 1 other person like this.
  15. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    There was a band from the UK in the late 90’s doing a spot on Minutemen vibe. Even the lp name is in tribute. If you like the Minutemen you should definitely give this record a spin...

spatters and MCF like this.
  16. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw firehose a bunch and once they opened with, I think, "down with the bass" and watt broke not one but two strings - the G and the E!

spatters and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  17. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Another time I saw Watt with Il Sogno del Marinaio at Great Scott in Allston, around 2015. Those two albums are really good!

GregC and Spirit of Ox like this.
  18. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    Not sure if anyone knew this, but Double Nickels was recorded with a '56 P Bass that had a Thunderbird pickup. No one would ever dream of doing that now - screw the value of what is now a $20,000 bass.

knumbskull and spatters like this.
  19. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Yeah, I forgot to mention, that album has one of my favorite bass tones (and some of my favorite album production in general) and it was recorded with pretty standard gear.

Wasn't the budget for Double Nickels like $1100 or something?

Those guys really knew how to work with what they had.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  20. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Man, no biz like showbiz!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021