Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. watt

watt the man in the van w/a bass in his hand Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
  2. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Haha, wow!

3. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Wow, one of my favorite bass players and creators of one of my favorite bands and albums replied in my thread about said band/album.

Today is a win!

Thanks Mike for everything

4. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019

5. watt

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    bassslinger shuffle,

that's cuz it ain't true. I got that '56 pbass but not until a couple of years AFTER the minutemen. "double nickels..." bass was half early 70s pbass w/a dimarzio pickup and half was a '68 tele bass w/a schecter body. when I did get the '56 pbass, it had no pickup and in fact a huge hole was dug out where it originally was but that's why it cost me only $200... a tbird pickup filled that hole totally though! a couple years ago I had curtis novak put a split pbass pickup of his INSIDE the tbird case. I do most my recording w/that bass along w/my 1995 moon larry graham model where I removed the preamp and replaced the pickups w/lindy fralin split-jazz ones.

another thing about the bass on "double nickels..." is that it's only direct - ethan james recorded us on an eight-track otari... mixed all fortyeight tunes in one night! well, they were tiny tunes and half the tracks were for drums. I paid for this album: $1100. ethan was a great cat, same w/d boon and georgie - I felt they all deserved. prolly the best record I ever played on.

on bass, watt

mike watt's hoot page

6. watt

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    basslinger shuffle,

some of it is but lots of it is me arpeggiating a plain ol' e-major open-string cowboy chord!

on bass, watt

mike watt's hoot page

7. watt

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    bassslinger shuffle,

georgie was born in brockton - you should've heard his ma's accent! he moved to pedro when he was a young boy though - none of us minutemen were actually FROM pedro, all three of us came as boys... I was nine (from norfolk in virginia, born in portsmouth) and d boon was six (from bakersfield, born in napa).

on bass, watt

mike watt's hoot page

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Yup. Absolutely some of the best.

josephbass86 likes this.
  9. watt

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    bassslinger lerm,

d boon got the idea from r & b cats w/their style of rhythm guitar being trebly and clipped to provide more room for the drums and bass and he thought this was the "political" part of the minutemen - the song lyrics for him were more like "thinking out loud" - that's what he called it.

on bass, watt

mike watt's hoot page

10. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019

11. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    Mike,

What's George doing now? One of the great rock drummers ever.

GregC and jw23mind like this.
  12. watt

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    people,

this website substituted "poopie" for the s h i t word I used, sorry about that.

on bass, watt

mike watt's hoot page

13. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Thank you for the explanation Mr. Watt! Great to see you in these parts. I posted a pic from when I saw you in Buffalo here! I just missed seeing the minutemen perform at University of Buffalo in the 80's but I've seen you a jillion times since. Standouts include fIREHOSE at Lee's Palace in Toronto, Contemplating the Engine Room with Nels in Portland at Berbati's Pan and many others. I remember playing Punch Line for my best friend and drummer Dan back in Buffalo through my dad's stereo when we were maybe 15 and he's been hooked too since he heard George's opening drum fill in Search...

Anyway, much love to you, man. You have been an inspiration to so many of us. Every time I get to meet you I end up saying something corny because I might break down in tears if I started laying it all out for you. Hope you're able to get back on the road and to the Bay Area sometime soonish!

EDIT: I don't think it was University of Buffalo (SUNY); it was Buffalo State, or as we called it, "Buff State". They had lots of shows back in the day - great outdoor gigs by the Ramones, Violent Femmes and many others, and indoor shows too (Black Flag, Fugazi....I remember going into the pit at a Black Flag show in the 80s at Buff State with two mustard colored Chuck Taylors and coming out with only one...)

EDIT2: Buff State also had (has?) an awesome college radio station, WBNY. My friend Rich Wall was a DJ there for a long time.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    GregC, jw23mind and josephbass86 like this.
  14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Reading this thread while my morning coffee kicks in is getting my day off to a great start. It's so cool to get some inside info from the primary source on the Double Nickels recording and the gear which was used on it. Hot dang, this is great!

15. arepa_funk

arepa_funk

Nov 2, 2020
    Much love to you, sir Watt. Def an inspiration, and your DIY ethos has pushed me to just start and keep on going. Thank you for everything.

starjag, knumbskull, GregC and 2 others like this.
  16. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Watt is my earliest & greatest bass hero. Thank you!

17. watt

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    bassslinger shuffle,

me and georgie will record drums and bass for fifth _unknown instructors_ album this summer at _casa hanzo_ here in pedro. joe baiza and j mascis will then bring their guitars and dan mcguire will bring his poems.

on bass, watt

mike watt's hoot page

18. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    Wow, brother Mike, can't wait to hear what that ends up producing. I'm also chomping at the bit to hear live music. Would love to see you and whoever you'll be playing with live, even if I have to get on a plane to do it.

josephbass86 likes this.
  19. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    He kind of did : LCD Soundsystem.

20. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

poopie happens.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021