Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Not alone. I got turned on to that album about the same time I got into the bass and I tried to cop as many Mike Watt lines as I could figure out. It was good training! I'm awed by the breadth of grooves and styles. That eclecticism struck me a being more "punk" than a lot of other bands who claim to be. It's true individualism. I was going to school in Long Beach when they formed and I suppose if I had been hip enough I might have caught them or any number of bands on the scene, but by the time I had the pleasure of seeing Watt live, he was playing with fIREHOSE, and then one time later when he put out a solo album. His personage impresses me as much as his playing.

jw23mind, GregC and josephbass86 like this.
  2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    3 Way Tie for Last.

That was the only cassette of theirs that I bought. They seemed a little too hard-core for my sensibilities. I was more of an early REM fan. But this was a pretty good album I recall. Unfortunately it was their last regular album i think.

3. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    You should do yourself a favor and get Double Nickels, 3-Way has some good tunes on it but it pales in comparison.

jw23mind, lermgalieu and ElectroVibe like this.
  4. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Agreed. My least favorite of all their albums.

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I like all of their albums but will say the Three Way Tie is probably the least representative of their sound.

6. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I just listened to this.

I'd never heard of the Minutemen or "Double Nickels On The Dime."

I want to hear more now.

For me, it brings to mind a little Devo and a little B-52's.

Very, very cool.

jw23mind, GregC, Joshua and 1 other person like this.
  7. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    P
    You should get it ASAP, just about every song has some great bass/drum work, quirky but with a strong funk and rock influence.

Also check out Watt and Hurley’s work in fIREHOSE and Mike Watt’s solo albums. Tons of great playing throughout.

GregC, FilterFunk and lermgalieu like this.
  8. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Hyphenated-man is my favorite Watt solo album, and rather Minutemen-esqe as well!

GregC, lermgalieu and Son of Wobble like this.
  9. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Great record! Contemplating the Engine Room was also a great ‘un

GregC likes this.
  10. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    I will always be partial to Ballhog Or Tugboat cause that was actually my first introduction to Watt’s playing. He does a ton of great melodic stuff in a variety of songs/styles and with really awesome bass tone. Not sure what he used, maybe his Precision?
    Also features a pretty great re-recording of “One Reporter’s Opinion” from Double Nickels on it that has some ripping guitar by Nels Cline.

GregC, MCF and lermgalieu like this.
  11. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Il Sogno del Marinaio is an excellent record too. And we must note all his "side" projects, like Banyan, Big Walnuts Yonder, Unknown Instructors and many more...

GregC, jw23mind and josephbass86 like this.
  12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Pretty sure it was a lot of his NR Thunderbird! Like in this truly amazing vid.

GregC, Joshua and josephbass86 like this.
  13. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Yeah that’s the tone. I could never make a Thunderbird sound decent but Watt makes it sound like a millions bucks.

I forgot a live album was put out a few years ago of Watt touring Ballhog with this band (Vedder, Grohl, etc.), I think it was called “Ring-Spiel”, an interesting document and the tone and playing is mighty!

GregC and MCF like this.
  14. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Just randomly wondering like all of you (who noticed) why that one dude got deactivated after engaging so enthusiastically in this thread. No need to answer this or for me to actually find out, cause it's really none of my business - but noting that if anyone else was like huh? a few days ago, you weren't alone.

Anyways, Boone, Hurley, and Watt have rocked my world since I saw them with REM in 84-85 and still do to this very day.

15. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Maybe....but that's live. Based on this post by the thunderbroom master himself, he might have recorded with his modified P or his 1995 Moon Larry Graham.

GregC, MCF and josephbass86 like this.
  16. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Quickly scanning his/her posts on this thread, none seem to justify a suspension, so it was probably something that happened on another thread.

17. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    It's weird, the number of times I see posts by someone, and on the same day it says "member inactive" .

I would have assumed a member would have to not log in for several years, for the system to automatically set that status (is it a user option?).

This time it additionally states "suspended" ( for whatever reason) which we're not supposed to discuss, so I figured there must be good reason, but it's the "inactive" bit that I always find strange in these situations.

18. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Well I think he's "inactive" because he's suspended lol. Aside from being a wise acre, all I can say is that I don't know the criteria for an "inactive" moniker, but I would doubt it automatically happens when someone hasn't used their account in a while.

Wood and Wire likes this.
  19. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Don’t forget Dos, the bass duet project with his then-wife, Kira Roessler, who spent time in Black Flag...

20. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Love Dos, and love Kira! She didn't just spend time in Black Flag - she was half of one of Black Flag's best rhythm sections along with the maestro, Bill Stevenson. And her brother Paul has done many interesting musical things in his own right.

jw23mind, GregC and MCF like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021