Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I saw them on the Slip It In tour, one of the most intense shows I’ve ever witnessed.

GregC, MCF and lermgalieu like this.
  2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Me too!!

EDIT: That was the show where I went into the mosh pit wearing two mustard colored Chuck Taylors and when I came out one was missing the entire sole!

GregC, MCF and ProbablyTooLoud like this.
  3. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Kira is way underrated. Although I’ll always be partial to Chuck’s “chainsaw bass” in Flag, she did great work on all their stuff. Particularly Loose Nut and In My Head.

4. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Who's got the 10 1/2 too

MCF likes this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

If anyone was wondering, the title refers to driving 55 mph from San Pedro(on the 110/Harbor freeway)to connect with Interstate 10 in downtown Los Angeles. Pedro is way at the south end of the LA basin, forming one side of the Port Of Los Angeles along with Long Beach, and very tucked away. It’s a long ride up to DT, Hollywood, the Valley, and Pasadena. Still better than the 405. That will make grown men weep.

jw23mind, GregC, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  6. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Watt offers an expanded explanation in "We Jam Econo." Includes that it was a direct response to Sammy Hagar/VH "I can't drive 55." Check it out. His reasoning is interesting.

7. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    I listened to this again after talking about it, and Watt does some great work with double stops and harmonics in the intro and the dynamics of the whole group is fantastic.

It’s a much more jazzier take of the tune then the DNOTD version, but I thought it was worth sharing here. Also dig the harmony vocals.

GregC likes this.
  8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Was just typing this..yes!

ProbablyTooLoud and MCF like this.
  9. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Well, TBH, the Thunderbird is modified too. He put in a Bart preamp with a bypass switch. But that’s the original sixties humbucker.

10. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Ok I’m just saying it’s fairly likely he didn’t use the T-bird on the recording.

MCF likes this.
  11. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Maybe he can chime back in here and set the record straight.

lermgalieu likes this.
  12. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    And I’ll probably be wrong :woot:

13. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

The thing is, I'm certain I've seen other people suspended, but they weren't labled "inactive" ...

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Yeah it was a weird moment. Midthread poof! Anyway, now we have an official reason to talk Minutemen.

Wood and Wire and MCF like this.
  15. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Listened to both.

Double Nickels was not as good to my ears. The playing was good, but a lot of it sounded experimental and unfinished. I'm just not into experimental music. The whole tone of the lyrics was kind of dark too.

I wouldn't listen to it again, nor any earlier albums. I'm more interested in hearing Firehose.

16. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Fair enough, everyone’s tastes are different. Well just have to agree to disagree on 3 Way and Double Nickels.

17. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Hmm….you’re totally entitled to your opinion but I will note that I’ve never heard the words experimental or unfinished applied to DNOTD. Sure, there are the car jams and a couple of kinda experimental tunes, but 90% of the (double) record is tight as heck. Probably one of the big reasons it’s my favorite album ever and on Rolling Stone’s top 500 of all time. I guess you’re saying it’s not for you. That’s cool…

GregC and ElectroVibe like this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    My understanding is that "inactive" is a fairly recently implemented euphemism for "banned."

Wood and Wire likes this.
  19. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I'm more into traditional pop, rather than experimental music.

20. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    But the minutemen are not experimental music. They are also not pop.

MCF and josephbass86 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021