Double Nickels On The Dime by The Minutemen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 9, 2021.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Maybe progressive is a better description.

2. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Jeepers, they're a DIY rock band (some call it punk rock). It ain't complicated.

MCF, josephbass86, GregC and 2 others like this.
  3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Yes, their style is perfectly described as punk rock. Every style they utilize, whether it be jazz, hardcore, rock, or funk, is under the punk umbrella. But one needs to understand what punk really is to see that…

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I've listened to a few punk bands in the past. One thing I can tell you, though, is that most people will never like it. Even the best of the best punk bands. It's not like appreciating music, because punk is a lot more than just music. And it will never appeal to anyone who doesn't have a certain mentality.

5. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I don't agree with any aspect of this statement.

6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    It's something I've learned from trying to turn people on to it.

7. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    Eh, I’m not buying it. I know people that love the Minutemen but don’t enjoy “punk” music in general. And I know others who love a lot of punk/hardcore (Bad Brains, The Damned, Black Flag, The Germs, Stranglers, etc.) that don’t like the Minutemen at all. I don’t think it has anything to do with having a certain mentality. You hear a band/song and you like them/it or you don’t, simple as that.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    lermgalieu likes this.
  8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    on to "punk music"? We've already established that punk doesn't "sound" like anything in particular - it's an ethos of making music and all that comes with it. Something like "anyone can start a band." But the minutemen proved that that ethos does not dictate a lack of proficiency; they were some proficient m effers. So what's this "mentality"? Negativity? Nope, because see Fugazi, Bad Brains and other - some of the most positive people on the planet. Ok then what is it? It's what @josephbass86 said - you like it or you don't, from listening to it. Anything else is just closed mindedness.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    josephbass86 likes this.
  9. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    That's funny, I was gonna say the exact opposite! They are both experimental and pop. One of the most creative (read experimental) bands, but still great catchy songwriting (read pop) despite the experimentation.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  10. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I've seen a study showing the psychology between musical preference and certain attitudes. For example, people who preferred top 40 were more agreeable, trustworthy, etc. Don't quote me but something like that.

It was a hard pill to swallow.

11. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I think ElectroVibe has a point, that maybe most people are not very open-minded with music and thus for them the term "punk" carries a stigma or baggage; they may never observe, let alone understand, the variety and nuance that the proverbial "we" do.

12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Whereas people who preferred avant-garde music might be more open minded, but perhaps not as dependable or trustworthy. Again don't quote me, but something along those lines. It was what you would probably expect from common sense.

13. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I saw one like that, but for metalheads! It suggested that they were same! Naturally, I agreed with the article, because I'm a metalhead too!

14. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I wouldn't trust Mr. Bungle, either

15. josephbass86

josephbass86

Aug 5, 2002
    So if someone likes any kind of music that isn’t top 40/pop, they are not trustworthy people?
    Dang, that means me, most of my friends, a lot of my family members, my boss (huge punk/metal head), and probably a lot of members of Talkbass can’t be trusted at all! That’s too bad. I’ll let ‘em know.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    GregC and lermgalieu like this.
  16. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    That sounds like junk science at its best. I’d love to see their "data."

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  17. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Firehose! For the win. I've been listening to a lot of their songs today. I wish I had heard them back in the day.

jw23mind and lermgalieu like this.
  18. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    The sad thing is, now I can remember a friend telling me about them. Firehose. But he described how they had started and it didn't even click that I might actually like them. I imagined a more hardcore kind of thing.

19. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Another Theory Shot to $hit

20. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Would you believe I just watched that on Sunday. Lol

jw23mind likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021