Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 30, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    how do u play those lines where u have to play two note at once, noticable examples r; help by the beatles & under the bridge, by u know who. But how do u play them and do they sound good, and y r they necessary?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I don't hear any double stops in "Help"; "And I Love Her" is a different story, though.

Anyway, in the case of "And I Love Her", I use the index finger of the fretting hand to "barre" both the F#(4th fret on the "D" string)& the C#(4th fret on the "A" string). I then RAKE the two notes with one motion of the index finger of the plucking hand. Another method is to use the thumb & index finger(of the plucking hand)to pluck each note simultaneously.

"Under The Bridge" uses the same two notes only the C# is played on the "G" string; use your index finger to play the F#("D" string)& your pinky to play the C#("G" string). Try both the aforementioned plucking hand techniques...

3. the way i do it is pluck one string with your index finger, then pluck the other string with your middle finger. if you have any coordenation you should be able to do this. or, if you're soloing, you can kinda "pick" the strings with the fingernail of your index finger

example: say you're playing g on the d string and c# on the g string. hold both those notes down w/ your fretting hand, and run the back of your index finger across both strings hitting them with your fingernail like a pick.

geez
    hope that makes any sense

-mark