Double or nothing ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Norre, May 7, 2004.

1. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Lately I've been thinking more and more about quitting BG and contrating on DB only. :help: It's a tough decision 'cause I consider my BG as a safety net. If things get too fast or too complicated (technically) I just switch to BG. Of course, if I keep doing that I'll never improve my DB skills. So, I was wondering if there are any others on TB who did the same thing? I know Vunz used to be a BG player.

2. The band I played with at the time were supportive - just said look, if you're gonna do it, do it - we would rather have DB and we'll live with the lack of facility for a while but half-way house is nowhere. You are in a damn good position - you KNOW what you wanna be able to do. Ain't no bigger incentive than that. Throw away the safety net and you'll get there quicker I say. Good luck.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I think there are only a few of us here that DIDN'T start on slab, a majority still double (I think?). Which is an option. Progress is a function of the amount of quality time put in, yes. But it's possible to still play both, many people do.

As soon as I really started getting into upright though, I just stopped practicing electric. The result was pretty predictable. I maintained my "doubling" status while I lived in GA pretty much only because of economics (there were a few high paying gigs that called for electric), but when I moved to the city, well there are guys here who can REALLY play electric and since I didn't really want to keep doing it, I just sold my slab.

If all you are hearing is upright, then go for it. But if that's not the case, if you still hear (and love hearing) both, then there is no reason that you can't double. You just have to put the time in and understand that there will be things that you'll have to work at more on upright than you do on slab.
  4. I keep my BG around, but I don't practice it. Alas, around here, as in the Peachtree State, BG=$$.

This has been discussed here before, but I find that playing DB keeps my chops in shape more than adequately enough for BG. The same doesn't seem to hold true the other way around.

Last week, I "cut the cord" nearly entirely by finally selling my BG rig -- a GK RB800 and a 4x10 Hartke, which have been basically gathering dust for about two years. Anyone who hires me on electric is going to have to deal with the more subtle sounds of my Contra.
  5. Yeah - I'm in the same boat as far as BG practise, but I do play it once a week with some indie rock guys and hey, my LH aches from not being used to the different angle and my right arm is no longer used to being held up so high and my RH finger pack more punch than they need to - but at least the latter adds to a meaty sound - I never cease to be amazed at how lightly a lot of BG players tickle their strings and then have the amp turned up to 11. When I played just BG I used three fingers and DB has got me to only two and this does confuse me occassionally. However, its a good thing as whenever used three fingers I always got twinges of RSI or whatever you want to call it.

So my personal verdict is - yeah DB keeps me in trim for BG but I should give it a work out every now and then. Some day I might follow my own advice, but DB sounds too nice.
  6. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    I forgot to mention I'm not a professional musician (I'm not in it for the $$$, just for the fun). If I only gig a couple of times a year, that's OK, as long as I have fun.
    That's what I'm about to do :bassist:

That's nice! Was it hard to make the switch?
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    If I did it only for fun, all the slabs and EUBs would be outta here.
  8. Err - I used to go out playing BG then practise DB (quietly) when I got in. I find it difficult ot remember how much extra effort I had to put in. What I remember is:

* I found that I immediately lost soloing facility.

* Using fingers 135 as per Simandal wasn't too much of a problem but contributed massively to the above.

* I could mostly keep up with bass lines but we didn't play too much that was fast.

* My soloing concept and bass line concept changed - its the sound that somehow makes less notes sound more appropriate and better in the end.

* Eventually, though I'll never have the same speed as BG, some things on DB are easier - like staring into space without ever having to look at the instrument, articulating notes, hearing a sound and finding it on the bass

In the end I think that apart from soloing, it wasn't because I was having for fun with the DB irrespective of the level of my playing so it didn't really matter. And the band were pleased to have a DB. They didn't know anyone else on DB at the time which helped :D .
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I double because i absolutely love both instruments and I also gets calls for both. I did an opera the other day and a few days before that I subbed in a funk group.