Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double outputs on bass guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tomass, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    I know this might sound like a stupid question, but i noticed that some basses have double outputs on them. What is that suppose to achieve, is it for a stereo sound ie left and right or something else?

2. I know that Billy Sheehan has two outputs on his yamaha attitude bass. They are wired each to the neck and bridge pick-up respectively.

As far as I know, he uses them to process the two signals differently. On one issue of Bass Player there was shown his studio rig (which is gargantum and he records using six channels simultaneously).

This allows him, for instance, to put a heavy distortion on the signal coming from the bridge pick-up and a fuzz or wah on the neck pick-up.

You could do something similar by splitting your signal from a single output and processing it differently as above. The advantage (if any) of having the two outputs is only to process the different sound produced by the pick-up location (neck or bridge) differently.

I'm not sure about the stereo thing, although others may chime in.

3. Hey Tom, fancy seeing someone from the same hole posting here ;)

Stanley Clarke does something similar He had a an FX Alembic preamp for each pickup, and he'd run each pickup through one of these. This way he could achieve two very different tones from each pickup.

Correct me if i am wrong...

4. I think lots of Alembics do this with their special output jack circuitry and outboard preamps.

5. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Most Rickenbackers have two jacks. One is a regular jack that combines both pickups and the other is the "Rick-o-sound" jack that puts out each pickup separately on a stereo plug.

6. ...and although it's a "stereo" plug, it's only that way to split the signal. That way you can EQ each pup separately and get the specific sound for each pup that you want.

7. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    ok thanks guys

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Some custom basses have strings that can be individually panned to separate left and right outputs.

9. Brian Bromberg does a lot of recording with piezo basses where he pans the strings across a stereo image. The effect is very cool on recordings, but would not have much practicality in a live setting.

as far as the thing that Billy Sheehan does with the two pickups...he sends his woofer pickup signal to a different rig to give him that heavy heavy "beat you over the head with a sledge hammer" sound and then processes the other pickup for a more defined sound.

there's some merit to doing this, I guess... especially if you like complexity...

10. Arent some MIDI's?

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, some are MIDI outputs.

12. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    MIDI would use something completely differnt wouldn't it

13. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    So am I right in thinking if I modified my bass to have 2 outputs I could do this:?

Bass >---- Clean Signal---> Amp
    >---- Effected Signal---> Amp

?

14. It would have a 13-pin output in all likelihood.

15. You could easily accomplish that with a simple splitter box, or by using the send of the effects loop with another amp... or even a pan pedal so you can mix dry and effected signals.

The advantage of the stereo or dual outputs is to allow you to process the signals from two different pickups separately (front / back pickup, or magnetic / piezo, etc).

16. just the thread I need: I would like to split the single output of my bass into two so that I can use two different amps (I don't know, but the signal won't be half as strong right? I mean the signal stays the same but is just doubled?) But I was wondering what type of splitter I am looking at, perhaps somebody could provide me with information on types/brands/... All help is very welcome :)

EDIT: after looking a while, I found this thing (http://www.musik-service.de/Behringer-Ultra-DI-DI-20-prx395691718de.aspx), I wonder if this does what I want it to do?

17. John Myung played a Stingray that he modded to have dual inputs for the "When Dream and Day Unite" album.

18. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Sheehan sends his neck pickup into an SVT-4 Pro, clean, and cuts the treble. He sends his P pickup into a guitar preamp (or his Ampeg signature preamp and cuts the lows) and then into another SVT and cuts the lows. This gives him gut-churning bass, and clear definition at the same time (and crazy fuzz when he wants it, as well). He also heavily compresses both channels (10:1, I think).

19. The obvious way is to use a Y-splitter or ABY box. If you are looking for a really thick sound though, it may be fun to play around with a stereo modulation pedal (chorus, say), or delay etc, with just a little effect mixed in.

20. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London