Double P pickup bass... wiring options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by codiak, Apr 26, 2019.

1. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I’m converting my Epiphone Ripper PJ into a PP, reversing them. But, it has the 3 way toggle and I’m not opposed to putting in a rotary switch for more versatility. What are some good wiring options I can do with a rotary switch instead of a toggle?

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I put 4 way switch on my double P: series, parallel, neck, bridge.
    All positions have useful sounds.

merseymale and 5StringPocket like this.
  3. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You wouldn’t happen to know where I can find a wiring diagram for that would you?

4. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    mikewalker and T Bassman like this.
  5. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I like the positions you have set up, but I want to use a rotary switch on mine since it is a Ripper and it already has a spot for the switch since I would be replacing the three way toggle. Any idea what kind of rotary switch I would be looking for? I have never wired up a rotary switch before.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If the pickups have enough output you can wire each of them to a push/pull volume pot for series/parallel & have two volumes instead of a selector switch.

davidpolycotene likes this.
  7. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I like that idea, but I like the rotary switch idea more. I’ve been trying to figure out what I need and what I need to do to make it work.

EDIT: Just wanted to add it is a VVT setup which I’d like to keep but just add the rotary switch making it:
    1. Neck solo
    2. Series
    3. Parallel
    4. Bridge solo

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I found this one, but I need to know how to wire a neck volume and bridge volume instead of just the one volume in this diagram

2E1F9786-A0DB-4368-8D40-9429C0E345EE.jpeg

merseymale likes this.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The series setting makes the two pickups become one big pickup, so two volumes isn’t suitable.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  10. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Essentially what I’m going for is wiring my Ripper reissue with two P pickups to be wired like the original with a 4 way rotary switch and have the 4 setting I posted above. I have never dealt with a rotary switch before so I have no idea what I need or how to wire it.

EDIT: I’m an idiot. I didn’t realize that the original Rippers were wired with one volume and a mid and treble. So 1 volume it is and that wiring diagram will work. Thanks for everyone’s help.

ctmullins likes this.
  11. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    @ofajen is a proponent of using the Q-filter as the mid control in a Ripper scheme. Seems fitting, since Bill designed the original Ripper electronics.

Edit: and @40Hz too!

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you want to take it all the way, a Wilde Q-filter module is the same Bill Lawrence passive midrange circuit found in the Ripper.

ctmullins likes this.
  13. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I don’t think I want to get too crazy with it, I think I’ll just stick to a volume/tone with the rotary switch. Thanks though.

ctmullins likes this.
  14. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    What rotary switch would work for what I’m trying to do? Is it a 2 pole 4 position? 3 pole 4 position? I’m having a hard time finding the one in the wiring diagram.

15. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    If you haven't made up your mind about pickups yet, I'll just go ahead and suggest Wilde P46. They're great, inexpensive, and a nice tribute to Bill Lawrence :)

ctmullins and Tomusk like this.
  16. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    2 pole 4 position. But you could use a 3 pole, and just not use the third pole.

You could also use a 5 or 6 position, and not use the other positions, or treat them like mute positions.

17. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks, I plan on using two sets of DiMarzio Model P’s reversed.

Thank you. The 3 pole one is more readily available. What pole would I not use?

sikamikanico likes this.
  18. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Unfortunately I never wired rotary switch, but the principle should be the same. If you get 2 pole 4 way rotary switch, wiring should be the same. You just have to figure mapping between connectors on two different switches.

19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    You may wish to consider series-parallel for each pickup, i.e. the two halves in parallel or series. Parallel will get you more of a J pickup tone (a little more polite, maybe) which might work well for the bridge pickup especially if you want more of a solo J bridge sound.

merseymale and MadScience like this.
  20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I don't think you'd get much from (2) that would be that usable. That's where I might put in the bridge (solo, parallel) option. But don't ask me how to wire it up.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021